I have bladder problem for a years. My doctor tried with many different medicines but nothing seemed to be helpful in my case. During my last appointment, he told me I should have done cystoscopy. I know just that is procedure when something is inserted into bladder so I am worried a little. Can you tell me some possible side effects of cystoscopy and something more about procedure he is going to perform on me soon?

A cystoscopy is an examination of the inside of the bladder using flexible, tube-like telescope called a cystoscope. This instrument is carefully passed up the urethra and into the bladder. This procedure is usually done under local anaesthetic, without overnight staying in hospital. This means that if you have this procedure, you will be awake but feel no pain, but there may be some discomfort. It is normal to experience mild stinging on passing urine for a day or two after cystoscopy. Drinking plenty of water can help you with this and can prevent the development of infection or even inflammation, which is one of the side effects. Side effects are the unwanted but usually mild and temporary effects of a successful procedure, so you should not be so much worried about it. They may include a small amount of discomfort after the procedure, but this will settle in a few hours. In addition, it is possible to feel temporary swelling of the urethra after the procedure. This should not last long, but a catheter may need to be temporarily left in the bladder to drain urine until the swelling goes down.

i have a history of chronic UTI also chronic cystitis, n it happened due to my masturbating habit..but now even tht i've stopped my habit, the UTI dosent seem to go away, doc is sayin hez gona do cystoscopy, but i know nothings wrong inside my bladder as it occurred only when i did tht..
Do u think i should go for cystoscopy? wht if i dont, will i be well again..

I'm a 33 year old male, and had cystoscopy procedure done about a year ago. I started to realize the pain a couple days after sex. I was getting a pain/burning sensation/discomfort on the base of my penis for a little over 2 months until I decided to have it checked out. My penis looked OK, there were no signs of irritation, so the pain must have been inside. I went for all sorts of tests such as undergoing a pelvic MRI, a full board STD test, physical examinations, etc. This took maybe 2-3 weeks and all tests came back negative, thank God. My Urologist recommended the last step would be to go for a cystoscopy.
I went to another Urologist a week before the cystoscopy. I told him about how all tests were negative and that the pain started after sex. He said I just had a rough night of sex and I was fine. I didn't know who to believe because the pain was killing me everyday. It was an uncomfortable feeling. Kind of felt like a slight burning sensation on my entire penis. I wanted to make sure because the pain/irritation was driving me crazy.
I went for the cystoscopy and was put under a local anesthetic. That day I woke up and was given red pills to help you piss/pee/urinate more comforatable. At first I thought I was pissing blood but it turned out to be the pill's dye that helps you feel better when going. There was a large amount of gas that spurts out while you pee that can be slightly painful/uncomfortable. Air happens to get into your bladder from the cystoscope and when you pee its like farting out your penis. The gas stopped after about a day or two, however the pain when urinating took about three to four days. Your penis will leak small amounts of fluid during this time however it clears up after about three days...
The results from the cystoscopy came back negative as well. It turned out that the pain was from sex. My girlfriend was ontop and must have came down to hard and slightly injured/strained the base of my penis. Just knowing that I am %100 OK from all test is a big piece of mind to have. No man wants his manhood in pain everyday for months on end not knowing what it is that's causing it. I was told it was just from sex but didn't want to believe it because the pain was excruciating sometimes. After a while I started to questioning myself "is it was all in my head?", however it surely wasn't. I wrote this to inform others who may have or had the same problem. It's been a year now and I can say that when I have to piss/pee/urinate, the urge or feeling I get is more intense. I would like to know if anyone else gets that feeling? When nature calls, it seems as if my bladder feels like it cant hold it for long, however I probably can. The urge to go take a piss seems stronger... I'm not sure if this will change and go back to the way it was before the cystoscopy. before the cystoscopy, I had no intense headrush to piss/pee/urinate. In closing I would like to say that my procedure was positive. I have no negative complaints. Any pain endured is part of the process and you will get over it. It's not as bad as it may sound, it's life, It could always be worse.

I am experiencing the same thing, and decided that the CYSTOSCOPY will only cause more problems, I have blood, CT, Urine, and IVP test all came back negative. So from this results i decided not to cause more pain or problems. Food especially spicy, caffeine, and certain herbs irritate the urethra, I found out saw palmetto make the burning pain even more worse! The Urologist was mad because he couldn't make money out of me due to refusing the cystoscopy! Hope you are better......Takechan.

Hello.

I faced issues with my bladder at a young age. After pills didnt work, the doctor referred me to cystoscopy. I didnt do my homework on what this procedure involves, something I regret highly today. I did a cystocopy when i was around 22. I am now 33, and gradually, i have experienced the following consquences:

- In the actual procedure, I felt incredible pain and unpleasantness. On top of this, the doctor left the room with only the nurse present. When the nurse saw my reaction, she went to get the doctor, and I was left there in serious pain for 2-3 minutes alone. It was very traumatic.

- immediately after the cystoscopy, I felt strong pain and discomfort in my penis. I could barely hold the urin in my bladder, and it seemed something was wrong with my penis. I had a burning sensation on the tip of my penis.

- After some time, I felt numbness on my penis head, which made me loose sensation when having sexual intercourse as well as jerking off. I couldnt feel what I felt before. It was a horrible feeling to loose sensation.

- I went to several urologists and explained the problem I've experienced, but no one seemed to take it seriously. I also developed a deformation on the right body of my penis with some soft tissue forming a bump on the body appeared. The doctors said that this was normal development in the penis. In general, the doctors seemd uninterested and not taking my issue seriously.

- I recently went to a doctor to check my sperm. He concluded that my right testicle channel was blocked, meaning the testicle does not produce healthy seemen. Therefore, I now only have 1% healthy sperm, vs 25% which is the norm. I believe that this issue is related to the cystoscopy activity, as I have felt that this procedure damaged much of my reproductive ability.

- I hoped that with time the issue could be resolved. However, it hasn't I am now still having a feeling that my penis is paralyzed. I even get this strange sensations of unpleasantness...like I cannot feel parts of my penis, and that something is wrong.

So in sum, DON'T perform the cystoscopy. Even though the doctor says its a procedure without much risk, there are a lot of stories that are never heard like mine. This is your reproductive and sexual organ. It's nothing you want to meddle with, let alone stick a plastic tube down. It will damage your sensitive nerves, and your chance to feel sex fully. I am a living example of this brute crime happened to.

br.

Joachim

i ha a cystoscopy six months ago, and ever since then i have been unable to fewel any sensation in my penis or testicles, i have the greatest difficulty ejaculating, was never a problem before this procedure, and no, its not all in my mind, i sympathise ,m because doctors just dont want to know, if anyone has a 'cure' for this constant numbness, let me know

I know it's not in your mind, ive had similar. How can I contact you /email etc. I have tried a few things that helped

HAD CYSTOSCOPY DONE THREE WEEKS AGO AND I AM URINATING 12 TO 15 TIMES A DAY. WILL THIS SUBSIDE SOON

Run as far and as fast as you can the other direction. It is the most humiliating, intrusive, emasculating thing that can be done to a man. I've had several and I've decided I'll blow my brains out before I do it again. The doctor is just covering his rear end, and wants to rule out cancer. That can be done with a special urine test.

I had a cystoscopy and a rectal ultrasound on the 21st of August. I have not been able to orgasm or ejaculate since. Prior to these (non-invasive) procedures, I had a very active, healthy and fun sex life, 2-3 times a week. Now, after hours and hours and days and days of marathon sex from A to Z - nothing. I can feel the urge and feeling of climax approaching and then it's gone and so is my erection. I can get hard again minutes later and it builds up once again but I can not climax or ejaculate. A man's ejaculation is a natural way to relieve stress, all I've had for the past 5 weeks is serious stress and anxiety over this which - of course - isn't helping anything. I literally hurt in my groin from build up and no release/relief and I am giving new meaning to "blue balls". This is seriously starting to affect me mentally too. I went back to my urologist who did the procedures and told him of my post-procedure complications and he said it's all psychological and I should see a sex counselor. I explained that I was fine until he did his exploratory tests, now I cannot function. He just said, it's coincidental and that there's nothing he did that would cause these problems. I WAS LIVID. Why is it that surgeons can do no wrong and everyone is a guinea pig for their practicing medicine? Can anyone help me find a solution to this. I am a healthy, fit, 6' 3", 180 pound man that wants his life back!

I had a cystoscopy done about 2 weeks ago.  It was performed by a very good, Top Urologist.  I was concerned because I had heard pros and cons about it.  I repeatedly asked if they were warranted, was there a possibility I'd have issues afterwards, etc., and was assured No, it was safe, etc.  The procedure lasted about one minute, was done with flexible scope, etc.  Results normal.  I know something is not right now.  I have the same extreme urge to urinate when I am full as if I can't hold it another minute.  I have even leaked a few drops, standing at the toilet, before I meant to release.  NEVER has that happened to me.  Also, I have this sensitivity above the pelvic bone, inside.. I assume it is the bladder or the prostate.  Maybe it was nicked? I have no idea; but I hope this goes away. No burning. Also find ejaculating when j/o more difficult to accomplish.  My brother had no issues but I know this is not in my head.

I am looking at doing a Cystoscopy( The DR. said its the next step if antibiotics do not work , I am having trouble urinating.The Cipro is not working. I will just suffer with it rather than go thru this hell , Screw him and his scope!!!

Have you got any answers yet- because I have the same condition, cytscopy 2 weeks ago and I cannot ejaculate ? 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had a cystoscopy done 4 days ago, this is the second time that I can't ejaculate, should i be worried?