Hi, my grandmother got Elmiron for treatment of urinary problems. I don’t know if this is good for her, and she is taking other drugs for heart disease and high blood pressure, so I am worried about possible interactions.

Hi, Elmiron is prescribed to patients to relief the bladder pain or discomfort associated with interstitial cystitis. The recommended dose of Elmiron is one 100 mg capsule taken three times a day. She should have the capsules with water at least 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after meals. After 3 months of taking Elmiron, the patient requires a reassessment. She should feel relieved by this time. But, in case that she doesn’t she will be given another dose for another 3 months, if there are no adverse reactions. If improvement has not occurred even after 6 months, it is a question weather it’s worth using the drug again.