Hi. I suffer from interstitial cystitis. My bladder hurts and I simply don`t know how to relieve my symptoms. I have heard about Elmiron and would like to hear something about that drug. Please help. Is it true aspirin may be helpful?

Hi. Elmiron is the first oral drug developed for IC. Elmiron improved symptoms in 30% of cases, nobody knows how or why. Some side effects of Elmiron are hair loss, and minor gastrointestinal discomfort. It may affect liver function. Aspirin and ibuprofen are sometimes recommended to relieve pain. Many people suffering from interstitial cystitis find that alcohol, tomatoes, chocolate and spices irritate their bladder. Smoking can make the symptoms worse. Stretching exercises may help relieve symptoms.

Hiya,
I really sympathise with you, I suffered for months with insistital cystitis so know what you are going through. I would really urge you to go the natural route with diet and herbal medicine rather than becoming reliant on a drug for a long time. Obviously do whats best for you but I have mine totally under control now. Im not sure where you are but if you are near london I have a fantastic medical herbalist called Debroah Grant who sorted me out totally and helped me understand what would affect it. *****. Please get in touch if you like with any questions, know its miserable before you get it under control but you will get through it with the right treatment. Nadia x

Hi, I am a gent of 73 and I have recently been told that I have Interstital Cystitis and what relives me of pain is a one a day tablet of Clarytin together with one teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda mixed into a glass of water. It works for me and I hope it works for you.

I understand the Bicarbonate of Soda would get rid of the acids in your body, correct?
But why the Claritin? Do you know why this helps?

I have a 26 yr old daughter that suffers from IC on a daily basis. She has actually had it since she was a child but diagnosed with it about 5 yrs ago. She was told her bladder will only hold 8 oz and that it is really inflamed. The only thing she has found thus far that helps her is to watch her diet and to avoid stress as much as possible. I mean to tell you she is a miserable young lady most of the time.

Any thing you can add to help would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of people are beginning to believe that IC is caused by an allergic reaction to certain "natural toxins" from different types of food. So the Claritin would make sense. Also, Benadryl. For your 26 year old daughter, there is a treatment that would greatly improve her life.  It's a pace maker that they put in your back and it helps reduce the spasms, and helps her regain bladder control.  My sister in law could only holy 20cc of urine before she was incontinent. Now, she lives a normal life.  I have IC, but for me it's the pain that is uncontrollable.  You can forget tylenol.  They have to sedate me to do an internal, and intimate relations with my husband, I was literally given opium belladonna suppositories for after.  I have started doing Bikram Yoga to clear out some of the toxins before they reach my kidneys and bladder, and have eliminated all the foods on that list.  I can tell you right now, that I am on a fourth antibiotic in 6 weeks for a kidney and bladder infection that won't go away, and I'm afraid is a superbug. And I am in so much pain. Anything would be better than this.