What can you tell me about surgery performed for end stage Parkinson’s patients? When this all started? My father is Parkinson’s patient. I and my mom talked recently about surgery option that his doc suggested. Now, I am looking for as much as I can opinions and info about it. If you have any I will appreciate.

Surgery for Parkinson's disease began in the 50’s. The procedure was called thalamotomy back then. But now with new technologies, MRI…results are significantly improved.
They allow the neurosurgeon to be very precise with the targets chosen. Recently, another area of the brain was discovered which when targeted with a probe can improve the rigidity and frozen movements which were only occasionally relieved by thalamotomy. This area is called the pallidum and treatment is called pallidotomy. It generally is more commonly done for end-stage Parkinson's because rigidity and frozen movements are so much more debilitating than tremor.