I have no pain during bowel movement, but within an hour or so, I have severe rectal pain. Stools are loose. My pain may last for 4-6 hours. Only relief is warm bath, standing and sitting on a firm surface. It's driving me nuts!

I have the issue. Pain about an hour or so after a bowel movement and continuing for a number of hours. Sometimes severe, abut certainly uncomfortable.
At first I thought it was a carryover from having hemorrhoids, but I have had IRC for them and they are all healed up.
Anybody have any ideas?

I too have this exact pain. I recently had surgery for a fissure, fistula, and 3 hemroids. I have very little pain after a bowel movement, if any. However, one to three hours after a bowel movement I get a horrible burning, aching pain that lasts for hours. The surgery was 3 months ago and the doctor says I should be healed by now. He doesn't know what's wrong. If anybody has an idea, please let me know. The pain has affected my whole life. Thank you.

I am having the same type of delayed pain after a bowel movement.
for the last 3 weeks. It is exactly the pain you are describing...

Does anyone know the cause?

Did anyone of the above users resolve the issue?

please HELP!!!!

I've had the exact same problem , delayed pain after bowel movement . Started about 2 months ago . Went to regular doctor....was referred to colo rectal specialist .. described the problem to him ...told me I think you have an anal fissure ..then examined me and thats what it was . Prescribed this ointment to use for 3 weeks and then check back with him ... next step if above does'nt work is botox injections ..don't get that but thats what he said ... :-(

I have the same problem, except mine usually kicks in immediately after the bowel movement...hurts from my sternum all the way through my entire digestive tract and makes me very fatigued. Laying on my stomach helps, but interestingly enough...This is what I have found: 1) This pain usually accompanies stress and usually when my hormones are whacked---(I recently got off progesterone cream and probably have low progesterone AND estrogen now...this pain came back right along with the hot flashes, etc.) 2) Primal Defense is the ONLY thing that helps. I take a very low dose (1-2 caplets) a day and it helps tremendously. Whatever is in that probiotic helps this pain and can keep it away for months; though I wholeheartedly believe I should take it daily. 3) Exercise also gets rid of the pain---though temporarily. (Perhaps increased blood flow to other areas of the body is what does the trick?) A doctor also recommended an anti-inflammatory diet for me, but it didn't help like the Primal Defense did. It's wonderful!

sam_net wrote:

Does anyone know the cause?

please HELP!!!!

Update on the above post. I was referred to a Colo Rect specialist and he confirmed that I had hemms and they were probably causing the pain. I opted for surgery and currently on week 3 post op. The pain from the surgery has subsided and the delayed pain is not there anymore. I hope it stays that way when I am completely recovered from surgery.

I have had this pain happen about 4 times in the past 2 months. Feels like a stabbing/aching pain up inside. Possibly a cramp/colon spasm? or internal hemmorohoid? Lasts about 30 minutes...intense achiness. Not a menstural cramp although same intensity...then goes away and I'm fine. I am concerned... going to Dr. to get checked out. Surprised to find this and that others have similar symptoms. I would get checked... to many scary things out there to have symptoms in the colon area!

It sounds like we may be talking about different issues. Mine occurs almost immediately after a b.m. and aches all through my digestive tract. Butyrate seems to help when taken on a regular basis. The stabbing, shards of pain in the anal area I also have, but almost exclusively on the first day of my period. This pain is much different, very, very sharp like knives stabbing you up the butt-hole (sorry...no other way to put it nicely). I have done some research & visited with a couple doctors and believe that THAT pain may be related to endometriosis...which I'm going to get checked out.

I have the same problem, except I know that I have hemorrhoids. I've had them for about a year now and I never went to the doctor. The only thing I did is endure the pain for about 9 months (during and hours after the bowel movement) and I used some tea called "Becunis" as a stool softener.

Now I'm afraid to go to the doctor because it might be something serious!
The pain is unbearable, accompanied with stress and I'm only 18! :-(

I have the same thing, I thought the pain was easing, then today after a BM I noticed blood on the tissue paper, and BANG an hour later I am with stabbing, throbbing ache in my butt. Still going on after 6 hours. I never know whether to leave it a day before another BM or go once a day, I am damned if I do and damned if I don't, as if I go each day then I have 6+ hours of an ache, but if I leave it a day then I have a risk of bursting or splitting whatever is bleeding as obviously the bigger the stool the more chance of this.

I am guessing it sounds like an anal fisher, yes ?

I have had all of the above comments. Had surgery in 1980's for a fistula and have had this off and on all these years. This past summer things started again and haven't gone away as in the past. Finally went to a Colon and Rectal Clinic and was told he thiinks it is muscle spams. He put me on muscle relaxer, did not help. Ordered me a CT scan with dye and that was normal. Now is talking about biofeedback for the pain. I didn't know this was this common until I started looking on the internet.

I am a male and have had similar pain for many years. It began in my teens and has persisted now into my fifties. It is infrequent but ...
1) It is always shortly after sex (straight).
2) only if sex proceeded by BM.
3) always is relieved after a successive BM.
4) successive BM is always difficult and mildly painful.
I attributed it to a prostate issue - as if the prostrate is swelling against fecal material.
I was concerned enough to ask my physician a couple of years ago and after a short exam he said I'm OK - without much explanation.
Nevertheless, it is painfull enough to be a continued concern, and at age 51 I'm probably due for further colon related concerns.
%-)

Proctalgia Fugax

hello dear friends:
i have read ur posts.let me state that i am a doctor and my dad had the same pain. it seems that atleast the male members seem to fall on a broad spectrum of the same disease. the varients are leavtor ani spasm, proctalgia falx and coccydynia. i suggest you look up the topics of ur accord and find out which one describes ur symptoms better. heamorrides seem to be another common casue giving a feeling of heaviness or if thrombosed ( a clot forming in them) seem to be a casue of extreme pain. as for the lady suspecting endometriosis, i am highly doubtful of the scenario, but if the more common diagnosis fail them maybe that would be an option worth looking at; but not for now. hope this helps. pain itself can be quite a debilitating illness and chronic pain not only affects productivity but quality and longivity of life itself.