I would like to know more about Ganglion cysts. My sister is 41 and she was recently diagnosed with these cysts. I would like to know how does this condition actually happen? Where do these cysts usually occur?

A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon and it looks like a sac of liquid. Inside the cyst is a thick, clear, colorless, jellylike material and depending on the size, cysts can feel firm or spongy. One large cyst or many smaller ones can develop and multiple small cysts can give the appearance of more than one cyst. This type of cyst is not harmful. It accounts for about half of all soft tissue tumors of the hand. Ganglion cysts, also known as Bible cysts, are more common in women. Seventy percent of them occur in people between the ages of 20-40. They most commonly occur on the back of the hand, at the wrist joint but can also develop on the palm side of the wrist. Other sites, where they can develop are the base of the fingers on the palm (where they appear as small pea-sized bumps), the fingertip, just below the cuticle (where they are called mucous cysts), the outside of the knee and ankle, on top of the foot etc.

I have a question. Can I get massage or bodywork in the area of the ganglian cyst?

thank you,
_[removed]_

i have a ganglion cyst on my foot, its ichy and always red in colour. the doctor want to take the cyst of! would this be pain full?

Surgical removal of the cyst is needed when the mass is painful, interferes with function (especially when your dominant hand is involved), or causes numbness or tingling of the hand or fingers. After you have been diagnosed with a ganglion cyst and have chosen to have treatment, follow up will be different based on what you have chosen to do. After simple aspiration, your doctor may ask you to start moving the joint soon after the procedure. Most likely after surgery, your joint will be splinted for up to 7-10 days. A splint is a hard wrap that will keep you from moving your joint. Recent studies show that splinting for a long period of time doesn't really help, and use of the joint soon after treatment is being encouraged. Your doctor may ask you to return for a check-up after your surgery and will decide if physical or occupational therapy is needed. Follow-up care will be based on your personal needs. There could be a slight amount of pain but nothing that either over the counter pain relief or doctor prescribed pain relief won't take care of.

I though i should write on the top blog as i have found a treatment that has near fixed my wrist ganglian in under 2 weeks of treatment* Too i did diagnose the ganglian myself instead of paying a doctor to tell me but i knew it was a ganglian from having a few of them when i was a child and later in my teens* I'm now 38 and just over 1 month ago it returned in a very bad case* This Ganglian returned from continuously carrying 9-18kg weights with my job where i would carry those weights up to 400m at a time* So when it return like i said it was very bad where i couldn't even lift a coffee cup*

I tried a poltace a few times in bandages with multiple anti inflamitry natural oils that didnt really seem to help it in the beginning as it was still growing* Then into the 3rd week the pain became unbearable so i then began to take panadol for pain releaf all the while worrying my head off that who would want to employ a worker that only had the use of one hand as i quit the weight labouring job fast*

I then simply by chance knowing that Ibuprofen was an anti-inflamitry with pain releaf began to embark on my own trial taking the recommended daily dosage of Ibuprofen* Its now about the 12th day of taking Ibuprofen and maraculously around the 10th day its size near halved* I was astonished and allready i can lift about 1kg with ease* I figure if i keep up the ibuprofen anti-inflamitry for another 2 weeks i should be right again* Though the tendens around the area are still very tender i will definatly not push things and will still not use the hand untill i feel no pain in the tendens around the ganglian site* After researching Ganglian on multiple occasions there seemed to be a lot of products claiming the all magic cure* But at a hefty cost* Ibuprofen cost just a few dollars and taking the recommended 6 tablets a day it has cost very little and Ibuprofen is available on the shelf at your local pharmacy*

Hey i'm no doctor and heed that too when reading but i am just a guy that had a huge ganglian but through self medicating on Ibuprofen i think i found my cheap little helper to heal* I do recomend seeing your GP but mention this reply and at least try Ibuprofen for yourself to see if you have the same result as me* I replyed to this blog because i was worrying a lot for nothing and i thought if my trial can help another not worry then this time spent has been worth it if it can help another*

Just remember i am no Doctor* and too i dont work for a pham company lol I'm out of a job trying to get my hand back*

Good luck everyone and if your treatment isnt working try a few weeks of Ibuprofen*

Oh PS* I figure too the ganglian came along because my joints and tendens must have been in bad shape* So along with the ibuprofen i began to eat once a day 125grams of sardines* As if you know the vitamin stories of Omega 3, thats seems to be only available in its natural form is in sea food - crustations fish ect so i thought eat the stinkiest and most strongly flavoured* I did notice within the first 10 cans that i no longer had the pain filled ancles, knees, neck ,back and sholders that had plaged me for the last 3 years* So too get a few Omega 3 sorces into your diet to help in the lubrication of your tendens and joints* and maybe too research omega 3's and joints to learn more for yourself* before the stinky fish binge i rearly ate fish at all and i was getting near no Omega 3's in my diet* Now my diet is full of fish* And too whatch out for Calcium suppliments as my mother told me to take them too but i didnt but now she has a huge Boney Pretuberance on the back of her heel* and cant wear a shoe its thats big* I figure she was getting way too much calcium and it has really stuffed her feet* Be careful about suppliments if you can trace the vitamin you need with a little research find out what foods naturaly have that vitamin* I dont trust suppliments and never have* But common sence says find the origonal sorces instead of getting something that has been cooked dried pressed and ran on a conveyor belt and made into a pill*

From a non doctor lol

Shaun*

Hey Hi again* Just an update my Ganlion is gone* its still a little tender around the area but the mass and size has all but gone* Definatly try Ibuprofen for reducing the size mass* I'm going to contunue taking them for one more week to be sure but i'm so amazed that a couple of dollar anti-inflammitry has gotten rid of that hiddious Ganglian as it was so painful* deffinatly worth trying* Good luck every one*

Shaun*

Hi there

I developed what I called a "lump" (which felt like a swell in my bone- not even possible, I know, but that is what it felt like) about four months ago.

I'm a musician, so most of my colleagues said it was probably from practicing so much and that it would go away (nothing serious).

However, it became very painful and "swelled" everytime I practiced intensely (which is practically everyday) and carrying heavy things, as is required in my job, became difficult each time.

So I went to visit a doctor today and he told me it was Ganglian (not Tendonitis as I had assumed) and since it was still small, I did not have to go under surgery. So, all he did was stick a needle in and "extract" the "jelly"-like substance which forms within the tendon that we call a cyst. The lump went down slightly and it's hurts slightly from the needle prick, but as time goes, I'm hoping it will heal completely and never come back.

I've heard that it is very possible to return, as my job requires consistency of movement that is above the average "allowance" in an individual joint.

I suppose, with extremely careful movements, exerciise and a healthy lifestyle and diet, as this all plays a role in some way or other with the human body, it should stay away and not return.

Hope this helps.