After having her tooth extracted my grandmother started complaining about a blurry vision and seeing floaters. Even though she is 60 and bad vision somehow goes along with getting old, we decided to take her to an ophthalmologist. If we didn’t, she would just go on and on about it. Anyway, after examinations, the doc determined that it was something wrong. A condition called macular hole has developed and was influencing my granny’s site. Now, I am interested if that tooth extraction had anything to do with it considering that she noticed problems following the tooth extraction procedure. Thank you

Hello! To be honest, I think this is just a coincidence. I think It is highly unlikely that development of the macular hole had anything to do with that tooth extraction. I can tell you a little bit of macular holes. Our eye is filled with a gel-like substance called vitreous. Vitreous is made of many fibers that attach to retina – a membrane that lines the inside of the eye. As years go by and we get older this vitreous gel substance withdraws from the retinal surface. If the fibers are very well adjoined, it may happen that fibers tear the retina during separation and thus create a macular hole. Macular hole cal also result from an eye trauma and other eye diseases.

I to had teeth extracted and developed a macular hole one month later. A coincidence, I wonder. My experience took place in 2006.

Well. It may be a coincidence but I had a similar situation. Shortly after an extraction with a high speed vibrating tool I suffered a detached retina.

I theorize it was the vibration traveling up the nerve root up into the eye. Fact is, I was at risk for a detachment for two reasons: 1: I had previous surgery for cataracts and 2: I am very, very nearsighted.

Anyway, that is my thought.

Write me back at : _[removed]_

marnold

I have a stage 4 in one eye and a stage 1 in the other. Have to wait 20 weeks for surgery. Does anyone know if sight deteriorates after reaching stage 4 or if this is as bad as it gets.

Val

It's not from her tooth extraction. If you have an upper tooth extracted, it is possible to make a hole in your sinus cavity if the root of the tooth is connected to your sinus's. This is not common and easily treated by your dentist. However, the roots of your teeth do not extend past your sinus cavity into your eye socket. Before a tooth is extracted, the dentist will take an x ray to determine if the roots lie close to any nerves or interfere with your sinus's. They can evaluate the risk of causing a perforation to your sinus this way as well as the possibility of temporary paralysis to a nerve. But I repeat your tooth is not connected to your eye in any way and therefore cannot cause a macular hole.

My father is 67. He firmly believes that tooth repair caued macular hole in his eye.

I am also a firm beliver that dental work can cause retina damage.  I was in to the dentist and had 2 fillings put in 2 teeth.

within hours i was seeing light flashes and then i saw blood floaters in my right eye which is right above the front tooth that was filled.

I  belive that my eye was probaly already dried Jell and ready to detach.  the drilling and grinding that went on before the filling

most likely vibrated the eye loose.  The eye does not have to be connected to the tooth to get the damage.  It is the vibration from the drill and grinder that vibrates the eye loose.

I had catacract surgery on one eye. Then I experience flashes of light and a lot of bizare floaters. It was within 4 months of the surgery. I have been told I have a retinal tuft. This is pretty common and usually does not lead to retinal detachment, but it can. It is something to watch. Since the posterior orbital movement occurred while being treated for a sinus infection I got worried that they might be connected. I had a dental appointment for an extraction, actually two since I can't afford expensive caps etc right now, but they are both under my eyes so I am glad to have decided to put this off. Your posts suggest that I did the right thing. Today is the end of the three month serious watch period. Of course I will have to keep "an eye on this".   Does anybody have any thoughts about when it would be safe to do the dental work or how long I should wait to feel free of the problem. At some point I want to get the floaters lasered out.

Hi

Last week I had a upper tooth pulled. This one was in the back and had three roots so it was a tough extraction. I was swollen for 3-5 days after it was taken out. Yesterday I was in my kitchen and thought i saw a bug fly by on the side of me and every time i turned my head it would either appear or disappear depending on how i turned and looked for the fly or bug that i thought i saw. This morning i noticed it again and it was more noticeable so i went online to find out it's a floater. I'm 61 years old. After reading several comments from all over the internet I'm convinced this floater was caused by my tooth extraction. Two many people have commented on having a tooth pulled and then getting a floater. My brother in law is a Personal Injury Attorney. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this.

I have just had a filling in my upper right tooth and felt the drill reverberate in my head in a way I have not experienced previously. Not long after I have these floaters and light flashes in my right eye. So I too feel these are related.

okay, but can getting a tooth pulled cause any kind of nerve damage in your eye, you seem like you, know alot, i just got three teeth pulled the last three on the top row, and now i am having extreme discomfort in my right eye, feels like someone is stabbing me in the eye, from behind my eye, it also feels like someone is squeezing my eye, my eye is irritated all day, i can hardly sleep cause of the discomfort, and on top of that, this was not happening at all before i got my teeth pulled, like literally, it never happened, now it is constant every day,

In Dec 2013 I experienced intense jaw bone vibration from high speed dental drilling during a bone graft on the upper right jaw bone in preperation for a dental implant. Shortly after, I began seeing a yellowish spot in the right eye accompanied by warped vision in that area. I am now being treated for choroidal retinal neovasculatization by having injections in the eye to shrink a cluster of blood vessels between the retina and choroid. A cause of this problem is a crack in the retina. I am confident the vibration created the crack.

I had my upper left tooth removed today. I have had eye pain caused by tooth pain (confermed by my dentist) but now I have a blurry left eye. Could it just be inflammation causing it. IDK. This really sucks though. My face is throbbing and my left eye is throbbing and blurry. Any suggestions, comments, anything would help. 

What did your brother in law say? I have the same thing.