I have a friend who is mountain bike driver for many years. Few days ago, we were talking and he told me he has erection problems. He said it must be due to mountain biking. I am not sure should I trust him, so can you help me. Can you tell me if bike can cause erection problems, and can you explain this term to me better?

Most often, the cause for erection problems is physical. A firm erection is the result of a whole series of psychological and physical events, so there are many things able to disrupt this process. If a problem occurs at any step in the process, the erection may be absent, insufficient or short-lived; each is considered as erectile dysfunction. There is therefore a range of possible causes of erectile disorder, which can be grouped into two general types. First is physical, related to the blood vessels or nerves, and psychological erectile dysfunction. Injury to the penis, spinal cord, prostate, bladder or pelvis, are common reasons for erection problems. For example, problems such as injury, which is a result of sports or car accidents, or even riding on hard bicycle seats, cause erection problems. In one study is shown that nearly half persons had trouble of erections after a bike race, which is similar to mountain biking. In Boston University study of men whose erection trouble was due to some physical problem, nearly half were found to have fallen onto a bicycle crossbar at some stage. This might tell you should believe your friend, because mountain biking can be cause of erection problems for sure.