Hello! I love mountain biking and last year I bought a new bicycle. I haven’t been riding much as the weather was really bad, and this year when I went out, I would ride for like hours but would feel a discomfort all the time and when I would get off I would have terrible pain in the labia area. Is there anybody else with similar problems? What could I possibly do?

Wow, this is an interesting question. I mean, I am not a bike rider bur I may give you some suggestions like to try to change the bike’s saddle or find somebody who could add something to your saddle, like a protection, cloth of material, so you wouldn’t experience any of these troubles. I know that this is pretty discomforting. Good luck!

I ride a lot and biking causes a lot of friction... and also the beginnign of the season your rear-end needs to get used to this kind of stress... anyway unfortunately there is no magic trick, but I strongly recommend that you buy cycling shorts (like leggings, with a sort of padding inside), that you must wear WITHOUT underwear, or else you're not letting the piece of clothing do its work!
If you don't like to walk around in tight leggings, the fashion the last couple of years is to wear a port-folio skirt on top, and there you are ready.

You should feel a big improvement.
Below is an example of the type of shorts I refer to.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed**

ENJOY THE RIDING

Im a girl and a keen mountain biker too i used to suffer from a problem like this but i discovered it was friction from bumps etc afetr a llong time riding coninuosly i bout a new seat and started wearing extra padding and it became alot more comfortable to ride i found that gel seats where the best :-)

HOPE THAT HELPS!

i have been biking for a while now. i noticed a few times, i get two swollen and tender large bumps on eitherr side between my external labia and my inner thighs....my GYN said it coud be an ingrown hair but i have trouble bying this as it occurs in the EXACT same spot, on both sides every once in a while..thoughts?

I have similar symptoms on/off. My doctor says it is varicose veins. They are not that unusual. Mine are asymptomatic (it doesn't hurt), but it does swell up. She said if it became a problem, I'd have to wear one of those pregnancy belts that includes the harness in the crouch area.
HTH.

I read of a female wearing a mini pad to cushion her labia.

the best thing i found was to buy a female saddle. it has holes cut in it in the "appropriate" places, and has memory foam to cushion. also is narrow to avoid rubbing inner thighs. has made a world of difference to me... (and don't need additional gel seats or special cycling pants either)

you said you got a new seat, would you be able to recommend any to me? i desperately need a new one, its been too painful riding to work and school and urinating lately. thanks.

Call some quality bike shops, most of them carry bike seats that are made for women and also ones that are made for men. Both sexes can develop problems from standard bike seats. You could also "google" bike seats made for male or female anatomy, and find them easily.

Try. A. More ergonomic gel seat. Like the one with the split doen the middle...useful