So who here is into this? What do you ride? Where do you ride? What skill level would you consider yourself? How many bones have you broken?

I've gone a couple of times and have helped time a race. There is a spiffy trail system less than an hour's drive from here in Land Between the Lakes. Can be very technical (switchbacks from hell.) Most fun I've ever had on a bike -- but I don't get to go nearly as often as I should.

I've got a heavy Huffy-made hardtail bike that doesn't feel trustworthy on slopes and rockgardens. I've got serious GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) pains for a newer road bike and a kickarse MTB (hardtail w/disc brakes, maybe?).

I'm a base beginner, but tons of experience as a kid riding places in the woods that should've killed me, by all rights. :P No broken bones...yet. In fact, I went clipless on my road bike not long ago and haven't spilled once. Got MTB shoes to go with the pedals -- I can forsee some blood loss and bruising once I get on the trail with clipless.

Taken your new baby on the trails yet? How's it goin'?

So far I've ridden my bike twice. Had a great ride the day I got it, then yesterday it was pouring rain and very very slick. Couldn't get up any of the uphills but it made for some very challenging riding and a heck of a lot of fun. I ride at trails just north of Baton Rouge, about 25 min from my house. I really don't know how the difficulty compares as it's the only place I've ridden. I plan on going to several other places within the next few weeks. I really feel pretty fortunate for having trails so close, Louisiana is pretty devoid of trails.

I haven't broken anything... yet. I consider myself a true beginner but I'll ride all of the "advanced" trails. They're tough in that I can't make all the climbs, and some are very technical with roots, sinkholes, and eroded areas. I've only ridden probably 10 times or less. I'll change that this summer, rain or shine.

Clipless... I can't imagine at this point. I need to get a heck of a lot better before I switch over. I wouldn't mind cages though.

i went mtn biking a few times with the bf. :umno: um, yeah, im not meant to be a biker of any sort... the first real 'trail' i rode down resulted with me falling off the bike face first and the bike winding up in a creek about 5ft below me. i like running alot better! 8)

Closest I have come to MB is trail riding at the local wildlife center. I did like the challenge of it and the fact that it was different.

I haven't mountain biked in years. I used to go all the time in college. We had a trail system not too far from my house that was a blast to ride. I never really got much better than beginner riding though. Luckily I have broken any bones yet. (knock on wood) I loved the technical aspect of it, you always had to be on guard you never would know what would pop up next. Also it was the base workout I ever got while riding a bike.

We've got a park that's within riding distance on my house that has trail riding. I've never been though, maybe I need to put that on my to do list for the summer. I'm sure my riding skillz will only get better.

I love mt biking....I want a new one in fact, but I just got a new road bike so I can't.....we have a state park with some really rocky, rough, hilly trails....I guess they would be advanced intermediate.....it's really a workout....I have broken a helmet, gotten a concussion, dislocated a shoulder, cracked some ribs and gotten lots of scrapes and bruises....

I used to mountain bike but then I moved to Boston and fell in love with running. I still have my Specialized Rock Hopper and it's all I have ever needed. Nothing fancy, just a very sturdy frame and fits me perfectly. I bougt it in 1989, mind you, and it cost me $350. Back then that was a lot of money to me. There are fantastic trails here and one f these days I am going to get back into it. Need a partner, though. A woman got attacked by a mountain lion near me (well not too near) because the lion was protecting a biker he had been saving for some hearty meals.

Mountain biking is a thrilling sport. Almost cracked my head open some time back while careening downhill on very rocky terrain. Thank goodness I had my helmet on!