I have heard that facet arthritis means the degeneration of the facet joint. My friend told me also it is currently a contraindication for any type of disc replacement. I found it interesting because one cousin has this problem. I have never asked what actually the point with facet degenerative is, but now I want to know. Can you tell me just a little bit more about it?

First what you need to know is that proper spinal motion requires normal function of both the disc and facet joints. Therefore, there is an opportunity for facet technologies to provide an adjunct to anterior column disc replacement. It is also possible to have a stand-alone treatment for patients with isolated posterior column disease. Facet joint degeneration and disc degeneration frequently occur together. One of these may be the primary problem and the other a secondary phenomenon. Usually it is due to altered mechanics of the spine column in human’s body. Central and lateral spinal stenosis, degenerative spondylolisthesis, and degenerative scoliosis may all result from the abnormal mechanical relationship between column structures. A facet joint replacement would address many of the problems without creating the additional ones. Spinal alignment and mobility could be preserved, there would be less stress placed on adjacent levels. That is why normal anatomic structures such as lamina, spinous process, and ligaments, could be preserved.