I heard about degerative disc disease but I didn’t quite understand the story. My best friend’s mom has this disease. Can anybody explain to me if there is a disease that causes these discs to degenerate or degerative disc disease is a name of disease? And another question is what these discs actually are! I hope I didn’t bore anybody with my questions and that there will be somebody who can make this clear for me! Thank you in advance!

Hey, don’t worry you didn’t bore anyone, the name of this condition is pretty confusing. Let me first explain what the discs are. The spine consists of a column of bones called vertebrae. Between each vertebra there is a gel-filled disc that acts a shock absorber and keeps the vertebrae from rubbing together. The discs are made up of about 80% water, and as we get older, they slowly lose water and their ability to act as shock absorbers. As we age our spine begins to wear and tear as the discs dry out and shrink. Degenerative disc disease is a general term used to describe changes that can occur along any area of the spine usually in the lumbar area. So, it is not actually a disease, but rather a condition in which your discs “degenerate,” or lose their flexibility and ability to cushion the spine. There you go, I hope you see these things more clearly now.