My father is suffering from ongoing low back pain from some degenerative low back condition. It didn’t go to get better with non-surgical care he has been treated. Since I have heard for artificial disk replacement I was wondering if that might help him. It really became to painful for him to go on just like that, without any help. That’s why I need to know more about artificial disk replacement to see if we should ask his doctor do perform it.

In October 2004 the CHARITE Artificial Disc was the first disc approved for disc replacement use in the general population of back pain patients. There is a great deal of interest in the medical community and among back pain patients. They are all regard the potential of artificial discs for lumbar disc replacement. But despite all the publicity, it’s important to remember that artificial discs are not some miracle cure. Like any medical treatment for low back pain, lumbar artificial disc replacement or ADR surgery has both good potential and some considerable risks. Given that artificial discs are still a relatively new technology and procedure, disc replacement surgery also has a number of risks. Spine fusion does change the mechanics of the segment of the low back that is fused. One major intended benefit of artificial disc replacement (ADR) surgery over spine fusion is that it does not change the biomechanics of the lower spine. Also it allows the spine to maintain its normal range of motion and thereby reducing or eliminating the risk of degeneration in adjacent segments of the spine.