I have a problem with cervical stenosis, which placed pressure on my spinal cord. Most of the compression is in my back, so my doctor recommended me solution for this. He said this condition should be treated with a posterior cervical laminectomy procedure. He gave me an explanation that objective of this procedure is to remove the lamina and spinous process, to give the spinal cord more room. That is why I want to hear more about cervical laminectomy procedure.

The general procedure for a cervical laminectomy, include surgical approach at the first place. The skin incision should be in the midline of the back of the neck and is about 3 to 4 inches long. The para-spinal muscles are then elevated from multiple levels, depends from your case. Removal of the lamina is second step required in cervical laminectomy procedure. There could be used a high-speed burr to make a trough in the lamina on both sides right before it joins the facet joint. The lamina with the spinous process can be removed as one piece, like a lobster tail. Removal of the lamina and spinous process during cervical laminectomy procedure allows the spinal cord to float backwards and gives it more room. The results of the laminectomy are variable, since some people have more extensive disease than others do, so I cannot tell you exactly what you should expect. In general, after the cervical laminectomy procedure, most patients can expect to regain some spinal cord function, and improvement in their hand function and walking capabilities. You could also expect to have less or no numbness in their hands, but if there was a lot of numbness prior to the surgery, it probably will not go away completely.