I have problem with my neck for many years already. Last month my daughter took me to the doctor who said I should have done cervical laminectomy procedure. I have never heard for something like this and I have to admit I am not such a believer into surgery solutions. Can you tell me anything about problem with cervical stenosis and its method for relieving symptoms? I would be happy to hear professional opinion about this topic as soon as it is possible.

As with cervical corpectomy that is also done for cervical stenosis with myelopathy the principal risk is deterioration in neurological functioning after the back surgery.
To help manage this risk, the spinal cord function is often monitored during surgery. Instability in the spinal column cervical stenosis can place pressure on the spinal cord, so if most of the compression is in the back, this condition can be treated with a posterior cervical laminectomy procedure. The objective of this procedure is to remove the lamina and spinous process to give the spinal cord more room. The general procedure for a cervical laminectomy procedure includes surgical approach. The skin incision is in the midline of the back of the neck and is about 3 to 4 inches long for properly done cervical laminectomy procedure. The para-spinal muscles are then elevated from multiple levels.
Second, it is important to do removal of the lamina that is problem. A high-speed burr can be used to make a trough in the lamina on both sides, and it should be done right before it joins the facet joint. During cervical laminectomy procedure, the lamina with the spinous process can then be removed as one piece, like a lobster tail. The results of the cervical laminectomy procedure are variable, since some people have more extensive disease than others do.