Hi, I have a chronic back pain caused by degenerated discs in the lower spine. I tried a medical treatment, but it didn’t help me. A friend recommended me an artificial disc replacement, and told me only few facts about it. Can anyone explain me what exactly this disc is?

Artificial disc replacement should help people with lower back pain. It replaces the worn out disc, but it also preserves the motion at the operated spinal level. It prevents developing problems at an adjacent level of the spine. Artificial disc replacement was in experimental phase until recently, and almost all the researches are done in Europe. Germany has developed the best model, called SB Charite III prosthesis. It is made of two metal metallic plates. Each one has teeth to anchor the implant between the bones. For easier motion, between those two plates is put a rubber core made up of polyethylene. The complications during artificial disc replacement surgery are possible, and they are usually infection, breakage of the metal plate and dislocation of the implant.