My grandfather has been having problems with his neck for almost 6 months now. He said that he felt just some small annoyance in the beginning, but later that pain became more serious and showed more often. Doctors said that he has hurt his neck part of the spine and that he has to go for an operation, but it failed anterior cervical fusion was the name of the procedure. What next?

There are couple of possibilities. One of those is simple spinous process plate fixation. It is also called a salvage operation for failed anterior cervical fusion – ACF shortly. In this operation spinous processes are fixed between pair of thorned plates which are secured with screws. Doctors like to say how this is fairly easy and effective technique so I assume that they will take this procedure as a serious option for your grandfather.