I had a cervical fusion 3-11-08 on C5-6, C6-7. They used a gel like disc and a titanium plate with screws to hold it in place. One of the screws has backed out and he is watching it closely. I have been wearing a very big and stabilizing brace in the day time, but I sleep without one at night.
My Dr said I could go without a brace in the day time as long as I was not doing anything. I thought it might be the brace but, but without it I still get no relief.
I have had some of the worse headaces I have ever experienced in my life.
My Dr. says it is tension and put me on Xanax .25mg BID and it is not helping.
Has anyone experienced this before and if so how long did it last?

i just had fusion at c5-6, and have been out of hospital for about a week and a half, i have had severe headaches...they tend to come and go.......but they have been bad enough to make me cry.......my doctor told me to go to base ER if they got worse........is this something to worry about??

Having recoveried from an ACF several years ago, which in and of itself was an ordeal, the initial symptoms have luckily been, in a large part, eliminated. The only remainig issue I have are the headaches which through trial an error I have concluded to be postionally related. Turning my head left or right to talk with a person for an extended periods of time brings on the headache several hours later as does sleeping with my head turned in any manner. The strangest thing is that the headaches once started, last 3 days, without fail. Managing those causal issues leaves me headache free for tha most part. My doctors (Neuro and Ortho) have provided IB, Valium and Oxy for the worst episodes which are not that often. Usually just 800mg of IB (with a Prilosec for the stomach) takes knocks out most pain instances.

Hope this helps you.

I have had two cervical fusions one to fix a crushed disc after a car accident and a second one to try and fix the severe headaches i was experiencing. they took out all the hardware and replaced it. i still suffer mind blowing headaches and have had several injections to numb my head and neck. it still doesnt work. if i do anything during the day for example clean house i am in bed for days with a headache. i need help!