Hi there,

New here, total closet-case pill popper. I began using tylenol#1 (OTC) with 325mg of tylenol and 8 mg of codeine about 4 years ago. It all started legitimately... chronic headaches. Innocent enough, right? Yeah, I'm sure I don't have to tell you the rest. 4 years later, I'm taking about 8 pills, every 4 hours. At my most, I was taking about 13 pills every 4 hours. (TONS of liver damage, I'm sure)

Over the last 2 months, I haven't taken the pills to get any sort of high, but rather to just keep myself out of withdrawals. They are so painful. Crippling stomach cramps and diarrhea, rebound headaches, muscle cramps.... ouch. I've arrived at a point where I'm not interested in being an addict anymore. I'm kept in this cycle, not because of the high, but because of my desire to avoid the withdrawal. Every time I've taken the pills over the last couple weeks, I am developing a hatred for them. They run my life. I hate setting down my purse, and having to hear the pill bottle. I hate opening my medicine cabinet and seeing dozens of empty bottles, proof of the hundreds of pills I've consumed. I hate the constant counting..."ok, it's noon now, I took some at 8:00... so one two three four....eight. ok. that'll tide me over". I've become TOO good at taking pills while sitting at the same table as someone, and not having them notice. sneaky, sneaky....

I've separated the codeine from the tylenol, and drank the extracted codeine in liquid form to try to do my liver a favor. ick.

it's time. It is SO time.

last night, I took my 8 pills at 7:00. At 11:00, I decided to extend the time that I waited. at 12:00, I went to bed, without any pills. at 7:30 am, I took only 4. Just now, at 1:30 pm, I took 6. the leg pain and headaches are crippling.

I WANT to be clean. I have to do this, for my health, for my kids, for my LIFE. I'm tired of knowing the shifts of each pharmacist/pharmacy tech in town, so that I can schedule my 2-3 purchases of pills (200 pills in each) every week.

I NEED THIS. Is there ANYTHING that can speed up the detox process? I've got immodium to help with the diarrhea, gravol to help with the nausea and anxiety, ibuprofen to help the achies... but is there ANYTHING else I can be doing? I mean... teas that help purge your system, foods that speed metabolism, etc?

I just want to get this over with.

Hi
I have been taking Solpodol and Analgiplus for 11 months..... not a lot, maximum 6 tablets a day, but usually 3 or 4. The strength is 30mg codeine, i never ever thought about codeine addiction, then last Sunday I had the start of influenza, so i went to bed and consequently didn't take any tablets at all, well the experience of the codeine withdrawal was really bad (I thought it was the flu , but realised this was too bad to be flu, it was in fact i stopped my daily codeine consumption).. I started to sweat at night, hot and cold flushes, dull prolonged headaches, and worst of all restless legs in bed at night meaning i couldn't sleep because my legs were NEVER comfortable, anyway I am on my 6th day without codeine and starting to feel my old self again, i played golf today and managed a few decent swings, anyway best to keep busy while withdrawing from codeine, go for long walks, go to the gym, eat fruit, keep busy all he time as it makes the symptoms less painful.........I will NEVER NEVER take codeine again in my life,this has-been the worst week of my life....and I'm glad I'm now ME ME ME and not some codeine ZOMBIE .
Good Luck and stay off codeine if you dont it will control your life, the withdrawal time i reckon is 7 days (The 1st 4 days are a nightmare) .
Bye for now LD

Hi brunette_bombshell
I am wondering how you are making out with the codine?
I have an appointment this coming monday march 10 to arrange detox and rehad..If you go to my page you can read my story,
I hope you are doing well.
I had no idea these little pills could do such damage..
I hate the thought of going off them though, as you know the withdrawels... I think that is why I have never actually tried hard enough to stop.
But they have numbed me long enough..
take care.

:'( hi im glad u have the restless legs cause i was startin to think somethin was wrong with me it is horrid never had any thing like it oright till u lay down at nite for bed man its trying like u codein has been a problem for me been taking panadein forte 8 \10 a day and im over it 2 its been a week 7 days t day i feel good but the legs man it aent over for me yet i been to bed 10 times tonight up down up down man its frustrating will it stop and when do u no it seems to be only withdrawl left apart from head ache thanks for ure post stay strong guys im goin fishing its early hrs and i might as well make something good out of not bein able to sleep

SO I'M SITTING HERE FRIDAY AFTERNOON, ONE OF THE HOTTEST DAYS SO FAR ... THE HUMIDITY IS UNBEARABLE AND THE AIR-CONDITIONER IS BROKE!!
I'M CONTEMPLATING ABOUT GOING OUT AND BUYING ANOTHER BOTTLE OF T 1's ... DO I DARE ... I KNOW IF I DO THEN I'LL BUY ANOTHER AND THEN ANOTHER!!!!!!!
I'VE BEEN TAKING THESE LIFE CONTROLLING PILLS FOR MORE THAT 13 YEARS!!! LUCKILY ENOUGH I HAD MY LIVER CHECKED LAST YEAR AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE!
RECENTLY I'VE BEEN TAKIN MORE THAN I EVER HAD. YA SEE WAY BACK WHEN I STARTED I'D TAKE 4 - 6 -7 -8 AND NOW 10 ???????? WHY DO WE DO THIS TO OURSELVES?
SO ANYWAYZ THE LAST TIME I TOOK SOME WAS AT 6 THIS MORNING! IT'S NOW 2 IN THE AFTERNOON AND I CAN BARELY LIFT MY ARMS, MY WHOLE BODY FEELS LIKE ITS ON FIRE, I'M CLENCHING MY TEETH ... MAN IS IT HARD TO NOT DO THAT!! I CAN FEEL THE HEADACHE COMIN ON AND I KNOW ITS GONNA BE BAD WHEN IT HITS!!!!!!!
SO WHAT TO DO? I READ IN A BOOK RECENTLY THAT IF YOU DRINK A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF GINGERALE THAT IT HELPS TO CLEAN OUT YOUR SYSTEM, HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS?
WELL I'M GONNA GIVE THIS A REAL SHOT THIS TIME AND IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLZ HELP OUT A GIRL IN NEED ... I COULD USE ALL THE FEED BACK YOU HAVE :cry: !!
WELL GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO'S TRYIN TO GET THEIR LIFE BACK AND UNDER CONTROL ... TAKE CARE!! :D

I've been consuming about 2000mg of raw codeine powder for the past 15 years. I would simply pour the powder onto the palm of my hand, judge the qty by sight and knock it back. Any non-addict normal person would instantly be sick due to the bitterness however as an addict, like anything, you get used to it. I am a trusted (yeah right) professional in the p'ceutical industry and therefore had access to the raw material. However, I decided to clean up my act and I am now on day 6 of withdrawal hell. It is incredibly unpleasant and requires monumental will power but I'm not going to give up - NEVER. The physical symptoms seem to peak at 3 - 4 days and then progressively but very slowly improved from there. They were, in no particular order, nausea, vomiting, acute diarrhoea, dyspnia, dyspepsia, restlessness, headaches for 2 days, insomnia, cramps, inability to tell if I was hot or cold, arrythmias, hypotension and sweating. The psychological effects continue to be the intense desire to use codeine, depression and possibly anxiety. The current problem is restlessness in the legs and a "clouded head feeling". I'm really hoping that by day 7 tomorrow I will start to feel human again. To anyone who has also had enough of the lies, decete and all the other nonsense that goes with drug taking and wants to get clean, good luck and hang in there, remember it DOES get better. I hope this may help a fellow addict.

For the sake of my fellow addicts and perhaps medical science for info and improvements in the treatment of addiction, I would like to add to my above post. I confirm that I was taking in excess of 2000mg of raw codeine powder per day. I am now 50 years old. Day 15 of c/t abstinence syndrome is still incredibly unconfortable so the withdrawal period to be expected is most definitely dependant on dose, usage time and age. I still have acute diarrhoea (correct spelling in this country), RLS at night, a "clouded head", dyspnia and low energy. However, I can feel my body slowly returning to some form of normality although in very small incriments. I read somewhere that it can take months to fell normal again !!! I await with great anticipation for that day. To all out there going c/t, hang in and be strong.

Me again (50 yr old raw codeine addict). I'm now on day 36 c/t and the going is still really tough. Acute phase has gone but PAWS has set in with vengence. I believe I made a huge mistake by going c/t instead of tapering. However being an addict I doubt whether I could have had the discipline and self control to endure a self inflicted reduced dosage program. Now (day 36) I get headaches every day, have very erratic sleep, my head is always clouded and I can't think clearly much to my frustration, low energy levels, still get RLS some nights, irritable etc. etc. I've read that PAWS will continue for 3 - 6 months. It really is unpleasant but I guess directly related to the time, dosage and frequency that I used for. What I'm feeling now is pay back time (i.e. the time that it will take for my neurotransmitters, endorphins, 5-HT etc to return to normal levels after the years of their suppression. To any "older" addict thinking of going c/t please get professional help to reduce your withdrawal period to a min and in order to stay clean, find out about PAWS because it can be debilitating and lead to relapse (not everyone gets PAWS).

wow...2000 mg is insane. even after a big binge the most i take at one time is around 250mg raw (i dont have access to raw but i get pills without a buffer). once i was sitting at my computer and ate 400mg but when i realized how much it was i chickened out and made myself puke it all up.

I understand your pain. I was taking about 360 mg of Codeine a day for about 6 months. I decided to stop taking it because it started making me feel sicker and sicker, bloated and consitpated. I gained about 10 kgs. So I went cold turkey and I was a sick as a dog for about a week. I would liken it to a bad case of the Flu. I had hot sweats, headaches, diareha, lose of breath as well as aches and pains all over. Felt like I was hit by a bus.
It was really bad for the first 3-4 days and slowly got better from there. I still feel worn sometimes, out a month after stopping.

But I wont take the stuff again. I cant stand the site of a Chemist store even. I just had some major surgery on my arm, and I demanded no Codeine for pain. I was given Tramadol, Endone and Di-gesic. I havent a problem with this as its prescription only and I wont go to a Doc unless Im dying.
But no more Codeine ever.

Grief, this has been interesting and shocking reading.

I feel like a whingeing super-lightweight compared to you guys.

Following an accident in 1999, I was on Co-Codamol (500/30) + Dihydrocodeine (30), each x 2 x 4 times a day giving me a 'healthy' intake of a 'mere' 240mg of codeine a day, oaccsionally upped to 300 - 360 mg.

I eventually underwent pain management therapy in August 2003 and quit the lot, gradually withdrawing over 2 - 3 months with zero adverse effects.

Then, about 2 years later I was in a traffic accident and have been back on the co-codamol (max dose of 500/30) since August 2005.

Now, I'm working overseas in a country where you cannot buy codeine, end of story, so my script is posted out to me by a friend. Naughty but necessary.

However, the last package has gone walkabout and I am now undergoing enforced withdrawal which is about as much fun as a hot needle through the nads. The first five days, as I realised I was running short and the package hadn't turned up, were OK as I simply cut down but had enough for my 'fix' but eventually I run out completely then the pain kicked in x lots but no other adverse symptoms.

My big mistake was then having too much to drink one night (4 nights ago) - not grossly excessive but just enough to give you a slightly squiffy head in the morning, that would be gone by mid morning....under NORMAL circumstances - and since then it has been hell. Irritability, insomnia, hot and cold sweats, anxiety, excess stomach acid, reflux oesophagitis, a mouth like Ghandi's flip-flop, blurred vision, inability to concentrate, lethargy, leg and stomach cramps, nausea, diorrheah, yada, yada.....day 8 without and day 4 of the bad symptoms but this morning they seem a tad easier - my mouth still tastes like s*** though!!!

Now I have absolutely no choice but to fight it - there is no option - Until reading this and other threads this morning I was praying the package would turn up but now I'm thinking the opposite - I can do it, I know......

I just hope that, once I've broken the back of this c**p situation the package doesn't turn up and I'm tempted to jump straight back in. That would be stupid but you all now how easy it is, I'm sure. Even reading this thread and writing this post has helped as until now I was quite unaware of how bad this drug is and how important it is to get shot of it.

Good luck all - hang in there!! :-D

I have been on endocets(generic of percets)for the past 3 1/2 yrs because of back problems. And also muscle relaxers since I was having
spasms in the middle of the night that would wake me out of a dead sleep.
I have been trying to get off of both at the same time. What h? I was on
10 ? pills at 325mg a day just of the endocets. So imagine that. I started
drinking a energy drink for the days to get through. And at nights I take
(2) 3mg of melatonin which is in the vitiamin sections of your local store for restfull sleep at night. I don't go through the restlessness sleep.The first 2 nights I probably got 2 hrs sleep until I got some melatonin. I'm wondering if this will see me through. I hope this
will help some get a restfull sleep and to get through the tuff nights ahead. I was going through the pin prickling,uncomfortable,irritable feeling
until I tried this. I hope this will help some of you.

Hello, i stumbled upon this forum on accident, but am quite glad i have. I have been a prisoner for the last 10 years, and until just now, reading your stories and concerns, did not come to the realization of this....my life. I too, have been addicted to tylenol #1, for the past 5 years. I used to separate the acetominophen from the codeine, and just drink the codeine. I would ingest approximately 500 mg of it at once, every four or five hours. I kicked that habit....well, not really: i just decided to take 10 or 12 pills at once every couple of hours, instead. Yep, brilliant. Before i ever started taking codeine, i was addicted to oxycontin, percocet, cocaine, demerol and Fentynol(when i could get it) and just plain old morphine. Walking Pharmacy I was. I dont remember much, really......at all. Anyway, what i am getting at is i really need to stop. I can quit anything, BUT i always replace it with something else. I am so so sick and tired of this addiction to narcotics, i just want to be free. Im sure i speak on behalf of many of you. Thanks for patience!!!!!! I have never admitted anything to anyone until now......i cant believe i am talking about myself....

Sorry for the confusion. I posted the below as a guest, then realized that i should just sign up! :-D

Hello Lisa,

I suspect that reattachment to some other form of addiction is a fear all of us have - certainly it is one of mine.

At this point in time, for me personally (now 2 weeks off codeine) I'm wondering how to address this issue - it's the double edged sword - I don't want to ignore it or complacency sets in and I repeat the cycle but likewise I'm not keen on building it up into such a problem in my mind that I start to feel it is inevitable.

My inclination is to get some external perspective on it either through counselling (and there are both "good", as in effective, counsellors and well meaning charlatans out there so care must be taken in choosing) or some self help reading.

On the whole, a trusted referral (either formal or informal) to a counsellor is probably less effort and more effective than self teaching psychology & counselling methodologies so I think I know which route I'm leaning towards. Well done for mentioning this fear - it should be common to anyone seeking to avoid repeating past mistakes and must inevitably involve examining what makes us feel we need to find solace in an addictive act or substance.

Anyway, the first step is to want to stop & it sounds like you're there. The next step, stopping, is up to you but the options are generally cold turkey versus controlled reduction in pharmas and trying to go it alone versus getting some support (family, addiction charities, friends etc). My personal preference was cold turkey (due to lack of self control QED) and support because it was available & I wasn't getting anywhere trying to beat it by myself.

However you decide to approach this I wish you the best of luck & hope you'll post your experiences, both good & bad as you reclaim your life.

Regards, enq.