Hi everyone

I'm 35, married, have a 5 year old son and a 5 year addiction to a pretty large daily amount of codeine.

Over the last 2 years, I've made a lot of attempts to get clean. I'm currently on my 11th attempt of cold turkey (36 hours since I last took any). Each previous time has worked in the short term, however, the longest I've managed to stay clean is 6 weeks.

Once the withdrawal symptoms have passed, I start to feel great and wonder why anyone would want to take codeine again when feeling normal feels so much better compared to the withdrawal symptoms. However, around the 5 / 6 week point, I think I get bored with being good, feeling normal and living in the real world and I start to get intense cravings. And so far, I've given in and, lo and behond, I get physically addicted again. (I would say psychologically as well, except clearly I never lost that! :-D )

What I'd love to hear about from anyone is people's experiences in the time after withdrawal. Many of the posts on forums such as this are about the withdrawal period (and I can totally relate and understand why). Those posts I've read that do talk about maintenance, seem to be about people who have moved on, never want to touch codeine again and have been very successful with that.

I want to be like that, but I don't know how. I don't know how to convince myself that I can never, must never, take it again. And neither should I want to. I've had quite a love affair with codeine over the years. It's so incredibly hard to let that go. What do you replace it with? Normalness doesn't seem an option for me, I'm an all or nothing, pleasure seeking, instant gratification type of person.

When I read stories of people who have died (I take paracetomal and ibuprofen with my codeine in large amounts as I get it over the counter) it petrifies me. I have a 5 year old son who I adore. Why can't I stay clean? I can get clean, I just can't seem to stay there.

Any comments, thoughts, experiences re maintenance, replapse, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else feel like me?

Thanks for listening.
:-)

I kwow what ur goin thru. ITS TOUGH. Ive been battling it for bout 4 or 5 yrs, I am currently using the suboxone program.

rite now it works for me as far as no withdraw complications. But its should br used as ashort term program. I was on it for likr a year and i cold turkired it  It was worse than the codeine withdraws. find a suboxone dr. that that only wants u on it for like 3 maybe 4 mos, They will gradually ween u off. You can find them in the yellow pages,  Prices vary so shop around

I hope this helps u Humilite. You can beat or should i say WE can beat this together

God Bless and Happy Easter

Hi humilite; I know its been a long time since ur post, but as everything u said is so similar to my own situation I felt it was worth a shot in the dark and wondered how ur getting on?.....myself im 35 married,kids and been taking codeine for 12 yrs in the form u describe, I am on day 2 of trying to stop and I must say I don't feel too bad at the minute,but like u I am scared whether its possible to stay clean long term.

I am also mentally addicted very much so and that's what is worse at the moment it panics me thinking that I can never have codeine again....don't know if u will see this or not but I hope things have gone well for u x

Humilitie wrote:

Hi everyone

Thanks for listening.
:-)

hi, you need to know you are not alone,im 38 and ive been trying to kick this codeine habbit for years,i have stole money just to have a box beside me, ive sold many of things just to feel some kind of normalaity, ive gone cold turkey 42 times, but my addiction has taking its toll on me and my body,  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I dont know if this will help or not but I have been addicted on and off for years to the point where I have my hubby some to ease his withdrawal from alcohol and he then got addicted. I know some doctors do this but not all but it's with a try. There is now a drug called naltrexone I think but the docs will know if you ask. It blocks the receptors in the brain from getting high. Even if you are on the hard stuff like heroin and cocaine so no matter how much you take you won't get that wonderful high feeling therefore rendering the tablets useless. I haven't tried it myself as I am not on them at the minute but if I go back down that road that's what I am going to ask for that way I know I won't go back to them cos they won't work lol. Got to be worth a try x

I see a substance abuse worker I'm on subutex n I've bin off fa 6 days n I'll Neva TEK it agen I've gone from 40 aday n I've messed my liver n heart up I was give a month t live so thay doin great fa me then thay reduce u n ur free but u stay with a worker till u no longer need any help I'll av my worker fa moor than a year I've bin told this but I'm glad I've got the help n saport I needed just do it don't think or u won't go if u Eva need me I'm ere t help anybody that wants help get off the killing drug

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use