Few years ago, I needed to use Codeine as a pain relieve. I had two separate accidents, first time it was broke jaw and second time I smashed my hand. Both cases I helped myself with Codeine. When I wanted to stop using it, I realized I am addicted. I experienced withdrawal so I am afraid I cannot stop, can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I have the same problem, but difference is that I know that is all in my head. I was, addicted to codeine, and I know there are many people out there that are addicts, an afraid of withdrawal. I know I have great problem since I am very addicted to codeine painkillers. I do not want to go to my doctor; I know that I have let him down. For the last few years, I have taken five or even more pills a day whether or not I am in pain. I realize that I must be doing terrible damage to my liver and kidneys, but I do not have strength to stop. I have tried to stop once before, but I get withdrawal pains all over my body. I feel sick and I get blinding headaches. I could not handle these withdrawals and end up taking more painkillers. I know that I must go to my doctor soon, and do liver tests and kidney tests.

sallis wrote:

last october I was diagnosed with an ulcer caused by misuse of nurofen. I had no idea that the painkiller I had been taking for a neck injury for 6 years would cause me these problems. My doctor knew I was taking nurofen because anti-inflammatory tablets he prescribed left me needing an inhaler and I couldn't cope with the breathlessness on top of the neck pain and headaches. I was never warned of the damage these over-the-counter tablets could cause me over long-term use. I stopped taking them when my doctor said they were giving me an ulcer and have not been well since. Headaches are far worse than they have ever been. I have achey flu symptoms everyday and suffer from insomnia. I have had viral flu for 2 months now and am very lethargic. The headaches are so severe I have trouble reading or watching tv because my head pounds all the time. My joints ache like I'm an old athritic woman. There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday about a man who had been addicted to the o.c.t. drugs for years and the symptoms he described could have been written about me. I am currreently trying to find out as much as I can about the withdrawal symptoms of but it's not easy. I'd like to know how long this will last and will I ever get beck to being my 'old self'?

I'm am on day 4 of codeine withdrawal after having spent 7 years consuming about 70 otc Nurophen plus tablets per day (each with 12.9mg codeine). I have ulcers, I hate to think what is happening to my kidneys and liver and the withdrawal has been horrible.

I've had vomiting, diahorreah, anxiety, running nose and other flu like symptoms - but I'm sure I'm over the worst of it now although I'm still really lethagic. I think the peak was at about 48 hours and it's been getting progressively better ever since.

Yesterday I had a detoxifying massage and I'm taking some chinese herbs to aid detoxification (I've never told anyone about my pill popping problem so I haven't had any specific treatment, although cognitive therapy with hypnosis has been helping me in other areas of my life and I guess tripped my brain over to really give this drug habit the kick).

I'm interested to know if the withdrawal symptoms will abate from here and if I can expect increased energy levels in the next few days.

I also am addicted to codeine (tylenol 1) OTC. I was taking anywhere from 30 - 50 pills a day. I decided on Sat that they were evil and running my life and flushed them down the tiolet. I however have not gone through severe withdrawl from the codeine. I think if you make up your mind that these are evil and you dont wan't them anymore your chances are much better. I felt fluish on the first day and the second day was much better. I am having legs cramps at night however but that seems to be it. It really was not as bad as I thought it would be. I have started taking Milk Thistle as this help to reverse any damage that was done to the liver from the abuse and I take herbal vitamins now everyday. I am leary now about taking even a cold tablet I want only healthy in my body.

Guest wrote:

I'm am on day 4 of codeine withdrawal after having

spent 7 years consuming about 70 otc Nurophen plus tablets per day (each with 12.9mg codeine). I have ulcers, I hate to think what is happening to my kidneys and liver and the withdrawal has been horrible.

I am addicted to tylenol 1 have been for 10 plus years, i do 100 a day, i wanna stop any body have any advice,please help someone, i am from canada winnipeg.male 44,

Hi everyone, I´m from Spain. I was addicted to codeine for years, here its cheap and you can get it without prescription. Ok I tried to go through cold turkey and felt anxiety, pains depression and all the sh*t you talk about. Finally I went to a therapist and what he recommended was beginning with 150 mg for a week, the next week 120, next 90 and so on, till zero. And it worked. The quantities can be less for you as i was taking almost half a gram of code almost every day, so perhaps you can start with less. Lets say 25% of your daily dose. Ah, and don´t take (for example) 150 mg in one pop, you have to spread it around the day. In my case the pills where 30 mg of just codeine. Took one on the morning, three hours later another one and so on. That way there is a great chance of quitting in five weeks with almost no withdrawal. I have to say that the 10th day or so I felt pain, I just popped an extra pill (just 30 mg) and it disappeared TOTALLY. And so on I reduced progressively the quantities I took, till I was clean. After that the physical withdrawal was off, but I still have bad days in which I have to say myself "Don´t take codeine". What I do is jogging, it relaxes and releases happy neurotransmitters on your brain and its not addictive. What I mean is that you will have to deal with the psychological withdrawal, which consists in remembering how good you felt when you were high, and that´s a risk you are gonna have to avoid every day.

I hope this can help you, excuse me for my english, and peace ,love and respect for all of you.

I have just visited the doctor, ihave been taken around 15-20 cocodamol 30/500 for about 18 months now and he wouldnt give me any more, he has put me on codeine sulphate - i am trying my best not to take them but am feeling so down in the dumps and have racing heart and things like that, is this normal when you stop please

When you stop taking the drug, each day the amount left in your system is cut by 1/2. (i.e. 100/50/25/12.5 etc...)

Suck it up and deal with the withdrawal symptoms. You did this to yourself and now its time to make it right.

Yes, having the feeling of weakness, nausea, headaches, light headedness suck but it only gets better with time.

Take back control of your life!

my doctor is an addiction specialist, he consulted other addiction specialists. they recommended only cutting your dose of codeine by only 10% per week !!

3 weeks ago tomorrow I was in a multiple rollover car accident by myself, as the driver without my seatbelt. Somehow I was completely lucky to come out with just a broken tailbone and torn ligaments in my left shoulder. I was taking 4 T3's/day from the day afterwards up until this week, when I started to get the flu. I woke up monday morning throwing up, and threw up my morning dose of the pills. All day I was very sick, throwing up almost a dozen times, until I was admitted to the hospital monday evening due to dehydration. it is now thursday evening and 4 days without my t3's. I wasn't addicted or taking huge amounts of the stuff, but am now sicker than I've ever been, and it's not the flu doing it to me so much anymore. My stomach feels as though it's tying knots in itself and my head pounds so bad. I am so dizzy I can barely climb the stairs, and I can't sleep at night, even with powerful sleeping pills. This is terrible and I want it to be over. How long is this going to last when I wasn't on the stuff for forever?

I have been addicted to codeine for 7 years. I was also addicted to oxycodone too for 2 years. I went to rehab for the oxy but got back on the codeine again for another 2 years now. I was taking 150 - 300 mg a day at times the 30mg ones, my doctor was giving them to me. I decided many times I wanted to quit but was afraid of the withdrawl symptoms. I quit them for 9 days now cold turkey. I was really rough on day 5 but now the biggest problem is my mood swings. I feel terribly depressed and don't want to communicate with anyone. This whole thing is ruining my life/ relationships. Curse the day the Doctor ever wrote me my first Script!
So what do I do now? Go back to the doctor from a presription of Anti-depressants? How do you fix the damage to the chemistry in your brain so you can function normally and happy without drugs?

Hi All,
For those of you who have problems stopping codeine, here are a few options:

1) Speak to your doctor about Suboxone (Buprenorphine). Suboxone is generally given to people addicted to heroin or stronger opioids. But there is nothing wrong in using *low-dose* Buprenorphine for codeine withdrawals (I've done it before with my patients). For someone with a habit of say 1200mg of Codeine/day, you can get by on 2-4mg of Suboxone. The suboxone can then be tapered off after 2 weeks. This should give you a relatively comfortable withdrawal.

2) Slowly taper the codeine off by reducing your dose to 60% of the original, every 4 days. Once you are down to a low dose like 30mg, you can reduce it by 5mg every 2-3days, or you could even come off of 30mg cold turkey (very very little withdrawal symptoms)

I really hope this helps, and feel free to contact me if you need anymore help. (This is my first post on this forum. I'm not registered so if you wish to contact me, please remove the NO and the SPAM from this:
_[removed]_

Cheers,
AJ
De-addiction consultant and specialsit

Hi All,

_[removed]_

Cheers,
AJ
De-addiction consultant and specialist

I have been addicted to codeine for the past 5 years taking an average of 10 pills a day (10 mg each). I am now going through the withdrawal stage with the sweating, feeling cold, nausea. One question I do have though is, has anyone else had their menstrual cycles affected and do you believe it was because of your codeine addiction??