I have a theoretical question that I am hoping to get some views on. Please feel free to contribute anything you may have to say. I have been wondering about the possibility that sunburn causes cellulitis, at least in some cases if not in all. There are several reasons why I think this may be so, but I'll wait for a few replies and then share my take on the issue.

Certainly it can LEAD to cellulitis...  especially if the skin was blistered and consequently "ruptured", allowing (usually) staph bacteria into the now-open wound...

Hello there taber2014,

I am very curios to hear why you are thinking that something like this is possible? Did you have any experience with the cellulitis and you believe that the cause was sunburn?

I would like to hear if you have some evidence about this. And the reason why am I so curious is of course my light skin. I get easily burned and every year there is some kind of problem if I even consider staying on the sun for at least two hours.

My doctor has warned me that this can cause me some serious conditions and now by reading your post I am starting to realize what he was thinking. Can you share some additional information please.

Hello
I recently badly sunburnt my legs, and after a week, my right leg swelled up and became red and purple blotches. I went to the doctor and I had cellulitus and had been caused by sunburn because I had burnt the layer of fat underneath the skin on my legs, and it became infected. So it is possible! I learnt the hard way!

YES It is true I got bad sunburn on my legs and went to doctor I have cellulitis! My legs are swollen so bad feels like they are going to split open! So scared but on antibiotics,hope they work!

I have just returned from Sardinia to much more temperate Scotland. I tried to be careful with sun exposure but developed swollen hot legs and an ugly rash and flu like symptoms. This happened to me once before in the Canary islands, several years ago.

Cellulitis can most definitely be caused by sunburn. I experienced this firsthand after rapidly starting a tanning regimen after no prior tanning. I went in the booth with the brightest bulbs and stupidly stood with my face close to the bulbs as possible resulting in a ridiculous sunburn. I have photos of how red my face and forehead was and photos of not even three days later, cellulitis developing full blown on my forehead. I'm a 21 year old otherwise healthy female and was very confused as were the doctors. After visits and personal reflection and research, I've come to the conclusion that this is in fact cellulitis as result of intense sunburn. So messed up. I took oral antibiotics for a week or so then was prescribed a topical. Anyone with any ideas to help with healing and getting rid of the start of this scar on my face please help me.

I had the exact same experience, severely burned my knees and upper legs and they swelled so much I couldn't walk or bend my knees, and if I tried to sit, they felt like they would split open!

Hi
Yes, I got Celulitis after sunburn

I sat in the sun I got sun burn so bad on knee and my leg and arm

I am now also dealing with cellulitis and high fevers am on 2 antibiotics plus benadryl for the itching skin. Dr are puzzled blood work has all came back good but I also suffer with severe crohns that effects my immune system. Have a illeostmy so I am always dehydrated. Only thing I can think of is being in the sun. Wondering if I have developed an allergic reaction to the sun?

Yes. It can absolutely happen. Happened to me when I was in the Army. We were doing a field exercise in 2000 at Camp Leugune, NC; we had an MWR day (basically a fun day off) right before the main assault started, and we all went to the beach. I failed to use any sunscreen, and by 1700, I was dreadfully nauseous and ill, vomiting and whatnot. By that night, my feet and ankles were too swollen to fit in my leather boots in any capacity, even with laces out. Took three days (shortly after our unit had been "killed") before the batallion PA got to me. Gave me a shot of antibiotic, some Demerol, and within 30 minutes, I was almost good as new. Still took a couple more days for the swelling to subside enough for me to wear any sort of footwear (aside from paper hospital slippers), but eh, whatever.

I developed cellulitis on my back. I was on holiday and did get some sunburn but I didn't break the skin or anything, just a bit red for a few days... 2 months later I have cellulitis on my back and am on antibiotics,hope they work as I feel poorly.

I am currently on the penultimate day of following a course of antibiotics for cellulitis. I googled 'sunburn and cellulitis' as it is the only cause I can think of for my cellulitis. 10 days ago, having lain in the sun with my book for longer than I should have (only stomach and legs in the sun from behind and slightly to the left), I developed a red patch approx 15x5 cm on the left side of my stomach. No real damage I thought. Then 2 days later the area had expanded to approx 22x10cm, was bright red, very swollen, very tender and red hot. I self-diagnosed, via the internet, and went straight to our local walk in clinic. The doctor confirmed what I thought was the problem and prescribed antibiotics. I had no bites or cracked skin, only the redness that had come from the sun. I am almost back to normal and will now take a lot more care when enjoying the sun.

I just Googled how common it for sun burn to lead to cellulitus. My husband has one now, and it is the second one he's had from a sunburn.