I would like to hear if there is anyone, who could give me some answers. I would like someone to tell me what could be the cause for an enlarged kidney in a seven-year-old girl. I have a daughter who has three bladder infections over a 6-month period. She becomes very ill although the medicine prescribed by her doctor works immediately. However, I would like to hear any possible cause of an enlarged kidney, and what solution might be for her problem?

When a kidney is enlarged, one has to determine whether it is problem with kidney tissue itself, what makes the urine, or something else. With enlarged kidney, its tissue could be larger than normal, which is causing problem. Beside this, problem could be with the collecting system as well. This system collects the urine and transports it to the bladder, and it could be larger than normal as well. Usually, enlargement refers to the collecting system and in a very crude sense means that the plumbing is distended or larger than it should be in normal condition. This problem with enlarged kidney can be due to many causes. The greatest concern is whether the dilation is due to a partial obstruction in the drainage system with your daughter. Another cause can be backflow of the urine from the bladder to the kidney. Some other causes can be abnormal bladder function such as infrequent voiding patterns or excessive voiding related to an overactive bladder. Often the dilation can be normal, indicating that there is no abnormality and the child simply has large pipes, so the X-ray tests can help differentiate between these different possibilities.