Hi, I have been suffering from high blood pressure for seven years. I am taking my medication regularly. For the last couple of weeks I have been feeling pain in my back and occasional headaches. When I went to see my doctor he ordered an ultrasound exam. The results show that I have enlarged kidneys that are probably caused by polycystic kidney disease. I am very worried because I don't know what could be the consequences of the enlarged kidneys. Can you tell me something about it?

Hi, high blood pressure, headaches and pain in the back are some of the symptoms of polycystic kidney disease. The cysts are structures formed in the one or both of the kidneys filled with fluid. They are one of the reasons that can cause enlarged kidneys. Because of the cysts, function of the kidneys is limited. If the condition is not treated it can lead to kidney failure. The polycystic kidney disease is caused by mutated genes. It is possible that your high blood pressure is a consequence of polycystic kidney disease and that you might have had this condition long before you were diagnosed. In some of the cases, especially when only one of the kidneys is affected, the enlarged kidneys may pass undetected and without symptoms. However, now the cysts have multiplied and cause the rest of the symptoms. The complications, besides kidney failure, include forming of the cysts on the liver and heart and brain complications. The treatment consists of dealing with the symptoms of disease. This means that the doctor will treat your high blood pressure, pain, possible kidney infections and any consequences that might follow.