I have just had a ultrasound of my gall bladder, kidney. the test shows an enlarged right kidney. a CT scan has been suggested. what causes this and is it treatable with meds or surgery. I also have a neurostimulator implanted in my back. is this test suggested for me. thank you Donna Carey

Hi there,

You have to understand that kidney enlargement is a symptom of an underlying disease or disorder of the kidneys. Most often this condition is caused by polycystic kidney syndrome where your kidneys have multiple cysts growing on them. These cysts are filled with water and in most cases there are benign. However in some rare cases these cysts can even be cancerous and can cause you many problems. If this is the case your doctor will need to biopsy the cysts in order to determine the status of the cysts. Do you have any back pain in the area where your kidneys are located? I hope that this helped you a bit.

All the best