my pregnant wife went to hospital complaining of severe back pain and feeling like she had to urinate but could not. first doctor thought UTI, then kidney stone, finally the doctor diagnosed her with "enlarged kidney" due to pregnancy. (excess fluid in kidney) i do not recall the medical term he used. he did say very common amoung pregnant women. i can not find any information on this "common" condition anywhere. please help shed some light on this.

I think your wife’s doctor diagnosed her condition as Pyelonephritis (kidney infection) and the symptoms that occur when infected are chills, fever, pain in the lower part of the back, nausea and vomiting.
The risk of pyelonephritis is increased in pregnant women as well, as during pregnancy the enlarged uterus is putting pressure to ureters which partially obstructs the normal flow of urine. The pregnancy also increases the risk of reflux of urine up the uterus by causing the uterus to dilate and reducing the muscle contractions that propel urine downd the ureters to the bladder.
As the treatment is usually followed with the antibiotics and since your wife is pregnant I am not sure what therapy she will be given, but you should be calmed down as she is now in the hands of the specialists and she’ll be given the best care there!