Hi, I have been feeling pain in my lower back, but just on the right side. When I went to see my doctor, he referred me to an urologist. This specialist ordered an ultrasound that showed that my right kidney is enlarged and is causing my back pain. He also said that there are a few conditions that can cause the kidneys to enlarge, but didn't mention any. He said that he needs to do some additional tests to be sure. I am very worried and would like to know what could be the cause of enlarged kidney. Can you tell me something about it?

Hi, it is quite normal for the doctor to do all the necessary tests, before he makes a conclusive diagnosis. Besides, I am sure that he didn't want to worry you because some of the conditions that can cause enlarged kidney are very serious. I can mention some of them, but it does not mean that you suffer from any ones that I am aware of. Hydronephrosis is a medical term used to name enlarged kidneys. The kidney becomes enlarged because there is an obstruction of urine passage from the kidney. The source of the blockage can be a number of things. Kidney stones can cause these obstructions, but the pain related to this condition is usually very intense. Also a condition called polycystic kidney disease, in which cysts are formed inside the kidney, cause for the kidneys to look enlarged. And finally, kidney tumor cannot be passed by as a cause of enlarged kidney. I think that you should listen to your doctor and do all the necessary tests in order to determine the right cause of enlarged kidney in your case and the proper treatment.

My right kidney is also enlarged.  My  Dr. told me to drink lots of water and left it at that.  Yes I'm worried......... 

Many things can cause an enlarged kidney. Many cysts on a kidney or any other number of problems. It is good he is doing an ultrasound. Sometimes doctors are too hurried so it is good to write down your worries on paper in point form and show him your questions so he can answer them. That is what helped me get answers

hi have just found out i have an enlarged right kidney also,and i am waiting for my appointment from the hospital.i am worried sick about what it could be.can i ask what yours turned out to be?.and i hope you are well now.

I have sme problem going on with my lower right hand side of back, will cranberry Juice help with the pain?

I have an enlarged kidney as well and am also 5 months pregnant im so worried I don't no what to do im so worried it could harm my baby