I just found out a few days ago that I have some weird kidneys. I have had trouble with kidney stones for the last 4 years but no one caught on to my unusual kidneys until now.

My left kidney is perfectly normal. My right one however is just wrong. It seems in the developmental process in utero that 2 right kidneys started to develop then stopped and joined together as 1. Making a top half and a bottom half. Each half with its own ureter. Now my doc tells me he thinks the bottom half is dead. Because I have a blockage in the ureter which has caused extreme pain but has been there awhile now.

In a few months i will be undergoing some tests to figure all this out. He said most likely he will have to take the dead half off.

I cannot find any information on this abnormality and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Your condition is called "supernumerary kidney", a congenital kidney malformation that makes you susceptible to kidney stones and infections.

Thanks for letting me know :-)

Celebrity
My daughter has a simular kidney.
She has what is called a duplex kidney. She has had lots of infections an lots of tests. She too has a tube coming of each section. But hers join up an enter her bladder at one point. Both parts of her kidney are working, but the smaller bottom half has scaring on it from a bad infection when she was 3.

They did think at one point she needed the scared bit taking away, but they changed there mind, cos she was so young.
They said it could make the top half fail an then she would only have one. Yes you can live a normal healthy life with one, but they avoided it because of her age
She takes 1 antibiotic everyday, an will do for the rest of her life. This is to protect her kidneys.

She is 19 now. Touch wood not had an infection for nearly a year now :-)

I have a separate tube coming out of each part but they enter the bladder in 2 separate places. But my bottom half has failed and doc wants to take it out most likely. He's guessing its failed as I have a blockage in the ureter near the opening and its causing me extreme pain at times. But as the previous poster has said, its a supernumerary kidney. It describes me to a tee. And it would explain all the probs I have with kidney stones.

Why no other doc has caught this problem before is beyond me. Its just amazing with all the xrays and such I have had. If I didnt have the problem I am having now, I probly would have never known.

Good luck to your daughter.

I just recntly found out i have two right kidneys and no left kidney meaning both of my kidneys are on the right side side by side. it was just discovered after 18 years

I have 3 healthy kidneys - one on the right, two on the left with a dual collecting system, and haven't had a single problem ever and I'm almost 40. Nothing. No benefits either (apart from a spare should the other two fail)

Me too. I'm 48 and needed an ultrasound when I was in emergency for an inflamed gallbladder. I must be a freak, because the three doctors that seen me in the 2 days I was there had no idea for the inflammation nor has either of them seen both kidneys on the same side(right). I've always had to pee often, i'm assuming this is why. Oh well I always say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.