Long, sorry

I have had quite the past two months. Had lithotripsy on left side to treat two large stones. Week later had horrible pain in right side. Original urologist refused to believe that there was a stone on right side due to the fact that it did not show up on any of the x-rays. Ended up in the ER several days later and they did a CT scan. Yep stone was almost to my bladder but was blocking everything. I never passed the stone so after two and a half weeks I had it removed. The new urologist did not put in a stent feeling that it was unnecessary even though there was strange scar tissue. After a week of being in pain and super sick he finally went in and put a stent in. The doctor spend a lot of time discussing everything with my husband which I am now trying to figure out (I don't see the doctor for another week and a half to ask all my questions). SO my questions are: Can this scar tissue which is suppose to be in my kidneys and ureter cause me more problems, especially in the future? I realize that the stent kept everything open but what happens once it is removed, will the scar tissue tighten back up?? Can the scar tissue cause other complications - such as kidney disease, etc? I haven't been able to find anything on scar tissue in the kidneys on the internet and I am wondering what to ask my doctor when I do see him. :-( :-( :-(

Celebrity
I dont no anything about stones, but my daughter has slight scaring on her left kidney from a bad infection when she was 3.
She gets a lot of waterworks infections an she is on antibiotics for the rest of her life to protect her kidney from more damage.
It depends on the amount of scaring to the kidney to how much it will cause problems, but we have been told if she decides to have a family she will have to be monitored as any kidney damage can cause high blood pressure while pregnant and in later life.

Thank you for your reply. I just have not been able to find much that relates to my case at all on the internet. Interestingly enough I had a kidney infection when I was five and was hospitalized for a couple of days. I had problems with all three times I was pregnant with high blood pressure and had to take medication to keep it in check and am now dealing with slightly high blood pressure.

I guess I will have to wait until after my doctors appt to see what he has planned. My husband said something about more tests but seeing as how it was right after surgery he didn't take any notes and no matter how much I try to pick his brain he just doesn't remember everything that was told to him.

Thanks again!

Celebrity
Thank you for your info.
I now realise that my daughter could be prone to getting kidney stones when she is older.
She is 19 now.
After a few more nasty infections last year (we think linking to her becoming sexualy active) She is now on antibiotics for the rest of her life. To protect her kidneys from anymore damage.
tests she has had :-
scans
bladder examination
xrays
stretching of tubes
dye injected
If you have to have a test an your not sure what it is i will try an help if i can.

Thank you Carole x

I have a scar on my kidney from when I was 6 years old due to being hospitalised for a bad kidney infection.

I am 19 years now and the doctors never informed my parents as to what might happen or how to take precaution

I have a Doctors appointment on wednesday to find out exactly where the problem stems from but I have an inkling it could be from the scar on my kidney as I never played sport or had an operation but here are the problems if it is my kidney:

I now have severe lower back pain and swelling which I have been told is very bad scar tissue for someone of my age, I also find it difficult to stand straight, sometimes the pain shoots into my leg and I find it difficult to walk. Physiotherapy has helped somewhat..which has been a relief

Celebrity
Your scaring sounds worse than my daughters. I hope you go on ok on Wednesday. Please come back an let us know.
Have you had problems all your life. Or like my daughter. She had problems at 3 an then nothing till she got older. Can you relate you recent problems to becoming sexual active. As this is one of my thoughts with my daughter.
Thanks Carole xx

My daughter now 18 is very similar. Her scar tissue DID lead to Hypertention she has been on meds since she was 16. Lost virginty at 17 (she'll love me for mentioning that lol) so no correlation. She also now has a problem with kidney stones which I found out that scar tissue or kidney/ureter surgery makes you prone to- know one had mentioned that so be aware.
Good luck Deb

Celebrity
Thanks debt

I have now realised she could be prone to getting kidney stones.
No doctor ever tells you this!!!!
I have gained this info, from reading other peoples experiences on here.
Thank you for mentioning tho.

Iv also been told she could suffer with high blood pressure in later life an especially in pregnancy.

At the min my daughter is really well (fingers crossed) :-)

I had a kidney stone removed from my right kidney three years ago, and I have had various problems ever since(none life threatning) I have feeling in my kdiney most days they range from, a pulsing feeling , pressure on the kidney too a sharp pain for just a second.

Recently I have had a KUB x ray, ultra sound scan and cat scan. the first two have come back clear and the letter I received from my consultant seems to want me to cancel the follow up appointment as he thinks, all is clear. I asked him if it was scar tissue and he is reluctant to answer my question?.

My best guess is that I have scar tissue as the kidney stone was rather large and would not move even after they fitted a stent.

Any one have similar problems.

My daughter has a duplex kidney (full kidney with another part attached at the top), on her right side. The full kidney only functions
around 30 percent but the little bit does well (apparently). She was also diagnosed with a duplex system whereby her ureter split into two when it entered the bladder, causing reflux. This was all discovered when she had one urine infection at aged 4. She had a 'silicone?' implant put into one side of the ureter to block it therefore stopping any reflux back up to the kidney. This went well. She was prescribed anti-biotics for 1 year to help prevent infection. It has recently become problematic (she's 16 years old now), as she has had at least 4 kidney infections in the past 8 months and the GP was very reluctant to re-refer here to the Renal unit. I had almost to sit in his office until he changed his mind! Last week she was scanned and it appears she has 'a lot' of scarring, and her Cortex has shrunk. She, unfortunately had to attend the scan herself so therefore I did not have the opportunity to ask questions.
She been referred to the Renal consultant for further tests. I can empathise with others' due to their frustration to seek information re. 'scarring tissue'. Now I'm trying to find out about a 'shrunken Cortex!' Any idea's? You folks have got me thinking now about 'sexually active' related to more infections. It appears to tie-in. 8-|
Regards,
Jackie

Hi, as a child I suffered from what I believed too be a Kidney infection? My right side had swelled up, vomiting fever and was very week. Never taken to a Doctor, with prayer I got better. However for years I complained of right pain in the same area some times I could not even move, no one believed me not even the Doctors.

I ended up in bad car accident caused by a drunk driver. I had to have a CT scan for my whole torso. Bingo there it was my right kidney is badly scarred. I notice that when I keep my body in balance with plenty of fluids like water, not too little, not too much. The pain does extremely well and I rarely get infections. When I was married and sexually active it did hurt some times. Good luck each and every one you.

Carmen

Hi Carole,

My brother also has scars on both the kidney is now suffering from high blood pressure, could you please suggest the what kind of medication can help him to protect his kidney for rest of the life.

Thanks !!

I am so thankful I found this. I recently passed a kidney stone at the end of last year and after a KUB scan they were telling me I had a 1.2cm stone still in my kidney. Well after many X-rays, different sizes etc, a CT scan revealed my kidney was shrunken and scarred apparently due to a bad infection I had as a child. The radiologists believed what was showing up to be scar tissue, but I was still scheduled for lithotripsy?? Im going in for a dye test next week to hopefully put this whole nightmare behind me without having to get surgery. I couldn't find any information about this online either, it's good to know Im not alone.

Hi. I had Kidney Reflux as a child which went undetected for a long time. Both kidneys have scar tissue, right kidney is 27% function and the left 73%. I'm nearly 50 have been on blood pressure meds since 35 due to scar tissue. I now take Lisiniprol which is very good for the kidneys. Not a lot out there on this type of condition. I get frequent "flare ups" of pain that feel like an infection. I'm going to try accupuncture when I have an episode to see if it will help. It's something you live with but with a good urologist...makes all the difference in the world.

I have been having problems with stones developing, specifically in my right kidney for years. Last summer, June 2012, it was shown on a CT Scan that I had a stone the size of a grape stuck at the top of my ureter under the kidney. Stone was 13mmx19mm. I also has hydronephrosis due to this and the hydro was present for atleast a month. I was sent to a urologist and was in surgery within 5 days. Doctor removed the stone, drained the kidney and left a stent in for 10 days. Within that 10 days I developed an infection in both kidneys and was put on a different antibiotic. The urologist referred me to a nephrologist to investigate why I keep getting stones. I saw the neph'ist in Novemeber 2012 and asked him specifically if I had any residual damage and he flat out told me no due to my urine and blood work being normal. He requested 2 x 24hr urine collecions to see what was in my urine as he was considering putting me on a medication to prevent kidney stones. I did the tests and saw him again in February 2013. He said my urine was very alkaline (abnormal usually it is acidic if anything) and said I was losing a lot of calcium in my urine and requested another 2 x 24hr urine samples. Meanwhile, all this time I keep getting infections. Saw my family doctor several times since January 2013 for pain and symptoms of stones/infections. Ultrasound showed several small stones in both kidneys and cysts on the right one. Family doctor referred me back to my urologist again. Had a CT Scan with injection done on May 9, 2013 and then saw the urologist May 10, 2013. Urologist said that when the dye was injected, it went through my left kidney as expected, normally but there was a delay with it going through my right kidney. Urologist said she felt there was a blockage somewhere from scar tissue from the stone last summer. She said that the kidney funcion in the right kidney is not at normal. She told me she would be doing a renal differential scan to check actual loss of function and then would do another surgery where she would go up and look for the scar tissue and that if it was in the ureter she could stretch the ureter and leave a stent in. She felt that it could also be in the upper kidney as the wall of the right kidney looked thin on the CT Scan. So on May 17, 2013 I had the renal scan and then underwent uteroscopy yesterday, May 21, 2013. Prior to surgery the doctor informed me that as she expected there is function loss in the right kidney and the scar tissue was in both the ureter at the bottom of the kidney and also up in the kidney. She performed the surgery and scraped out some scar tissue and inserted a stent for 3-4 weeks and then I will see her again. If this does not help me with infection and pain then next step she said would be kidney removal as this problem keeps persisting and leaving me with a alck in the quality of my life. I am 32 years old. Hope my story helps answer your question.