I got information that glandular fever known as infectious mononucleosis, is a virus infection. It is causing sore throat, fever, enlarged and tender glands, and sometimes inflammation of the liver or hepatitis. It frequently causes a prolonged period of tiredness and debility, which I have noticed with my friend. Now I would like to hear more about this glandular fever. I know what that is, but I do not understand which symptoms could occur, and are there some possible complications.

Glandular fever often starts with a few days of mild symptoms, such as headache and tiredness. The major symptoms develop, and they may last seven to twenty one days, depends from person to person. They vary in how badly they affect someone, but usually include a fever, sore throat, and tiredness. Everything could come along with aches and pains all over the body. This phase of the glandular fever may last a few days to a few weeks. It is accompanied by tender enlargement of the glands, which are around the body to help defend against infection. A small number of people develop a faint red rash on the trunk and limbs, but rarely something like this happens. The spleen, an organ tucked in under the ribs on the left side at the back, is sometimes enlarged as complication of glandular fever. A rare complication is for the spleen to get very swollen and to rupture, which is a problem then. If this happens as complication, urgent operation to remove the spleen is required, as it can lead to heavy internal bleeding.