On March 22, I woke up with a sore throat, fever, chills and the like. I had a tonsilectomy 6 years ago and have not had a sore throat since. I was prescribed amoxicillin which I took as recommended. About three days after I finished the antibiotics, my sore throat returned. A few days after taking the second round of amoxicillin the sore throat returned. The doctor did not do a throat culture but precribed erythromycin. It has been 5 days now and my throat still hurts my neck glands are still swollen and now I noticed a swollen gland under my left armpit (the same side as the pain in my throat). Please help. I am 29 and I quit smoking just before the initial onset of the sore throat.

You could possibly have a flu or some other viral infections. Sometimes it could be something else, and due to the symptoms you have, I could compare this condition to mine, I had strep throat found after I told the doc about the symptoms which you also have. If you have chills, swelling of the glands and a soar throat, these could indicate you have streptococcus bacteria. A bad flu or cold could also cause such symptoms but strep throat last way longer than plain flu.
You can have your throat tested, and if it shows up you actually do have streptococcus, you will be given a few penicillin shots. What you should remember is not missing a dose of it if you want the treatment be successful.
If your doc thinks it is not a bacterial infection, you can always ask him to direct you to have you the gland biopsy so that you can be sure about what is going on with you.

the same thing happened to me, then i discovered i had mononucleosis. a simple blood test can determine if this is also your problem.

It is most likely mono, if your lymph nodes are swollen and sam with your glands on you underarms then you should go right away and get a blood test. Mono is very serious it could lead to other very serious problems I recomend you go as soon as possible

even if you go to the doctor and they tell you that you have mono, they will just tell you to drink fluids and get lots of rest. They wont give you medicine or anything.

mono is not a serious disease, it says on the internet everywhere. just type in "mono" and you'll get bunch of information on it.

Actually, Momo is kind of dangerous. If you had it and got hit in your stomache, you could severly damage your spleen and it could be life threatening. Also, even if you dont get hit, your spleen could rupture and it could be fatal. ! !

I think your posting about the spleen and etc is a little dramatic and over the top. Take it one day at a time, and just see your doctor.

Mono, while often just an exhausting drag, can occasionally be quite dangerous. When I was in college, I was hospitalized for 3 days w/ mono. My lymph nodes were so swollen, there was concern that my throat might close. I was dehydrated and weak, too, since it hurt to swallow. If you're having problems getting food down, a doctor might prescribe a topical anesthetic to swallow before eating (they gave me liquid novocaine, or some analog). Had I sought out medical help sooner, I might not have ended up in the hospital. It's worth getting checked out. Good luck!

No, I'm afraid not-- it is a real risk. I had mono when I was in high school, and my spleen became VERY enlarged. My doctor was genuinely concerned-- enough so that I was forbidden to take gym class for 6 weeks for fear of it rupturing, or getting hit there and causing damage.

The best thing to do is to see your doctor and follow his or her advice and not rely on message boards as a substitute for medical care.

My understanding about Mono is that it is quite serious with long term damage. One of which, take note all men, I am certain concerns your ability to father children. Correct me on this if wrong/if other studies over the years have ruled this out.

I got mono when i was in 7th grade. i was out of school for 3 months because it went untreated for so long every week i had to go to the doctor and get 8 tubes of blood drawn and i lost about 20 lbs.