Lately I have heard about mononucleosis, how it typically infects teenagers and young adults. Since my daughter is 16 and her friend who has mononucleosis too, I am worried a lot. Her friend got it few days ago, so I would like to hear more about this disease. In addition, I need to know symptoms, because I need to recognize that if my daughter catches it too. I guess I am over reacting, but it worries me too much.

Symptoms of mono consist of a high fever, sore throat, swollen tonsils with pus on them, which is something you will definitely notice. Your daughter might also develop and fatigue, an enlarged spleen, and swollen glands that may be tender. Symptoms usually last for only one to two weeks, although the fatigue can last longer. Symptoms do not usually appear until four to seven weeks after exposure to EBV, which cause mono. An infected person can be contagious during this incubation period. It works even for as many as five months after the disappearance of symptoms. Contrary to popular belief, the EBV that cause mono is not highly contagious. As a result, individuals living in a household or college dormitory with someone who has mononucleosis have a very small risk of being infected. That means you do not have to be so much worried, unless they have direct contact with the person's saliva. Mono or mononucleosis can be diagnosed by a monospot blood test. Some doctors use doing a blood count, which will show atypical lymphocytes. If you doubt your daughter catches it, you might visit the doctor and make her testing for mono.