I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. I was a little shocked at the doctor’s office, so I forgot to ask him few questions. I hope I shall get the answers here. I was given advice to get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. I was also prescribed with ibuprofen for fever and pain release.
I have extremely sore throat- how can I improve that? How long will mononucleosis take place (usual duration)?

For sore throat- gargle warm salt water – that should soothe a sore throat. You really need to drink lots of fluids to avoid dehydration (at least 2-3 liters daily).
You should really rest in bed for couple of days, meaning completely limiting your activity, which is mostly because of your spleen. Most doctors even think that people with mononucleosis should postpone strenuous activities (sports) for at least 1 month after the onset of symptoms or until the spleen has returned to its normal size.
Duration of mono varies. Symptoms usually go away within 2 to 4 weeks (fever even before- in 2 weeks), but enlarged lymph nodes might be present for more than 4 weeks. Again, it all depends on the individual and individual’s body strength (for example with children disease could take place for few months).
Hope, you’ll be fine a week or two!

It's a nasty illness which, as Elayne said, is most often over within a few weeks. There are cases of it having continued to be a problem for some people for a very long time. Chronic mononucleosis sufferers have been know to suffer problems for years.

Also, as mentioned, the spleen can become enlarge and rough activities can lead to it rupturing - so take really good care of yourself.

Lots of water, lots of rest and lots of fruits and vegetables.

I hope you recover soon.