After some symptoms, I have noticed with my son, his doctor diagnosed him with mononucleosis. He suffered of a high fever, sore throat, and swollen tonsils with pus on them. As much as I know about mono, I think he is in dangerous situation because of spleen problems mono can provoke. That is why I wanted some good treatment, but his doctor did not prescribe anything especial. That made me worries, so I want to know if untreated mononucleosis can cause serious spleen problems without treatment.

Mononucleosis is a contagious illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus that can affect the liver, lymph nodes, and oral cavity. That is true that mononucleosis cause symptoms as your son has. Beside these, he might experience fatigue, an enlarged spleen, and swollen glands, which might be tender. His doctor probably gave him right treatment, because actually, there is no treatment for mononucleosis and most people get over it without problems. Rare complications might include developing a ruptured spleen or an inflamed liver in some cases. To prevent an enlarged spleen from rupturing, he will be advised to avoid contact sports for at least two months after he gets better. In rare instances, the spleen may rupture, producing sharp pain on the left side of the abdomen. Symptoms that warrants, such as light-headaches, rapidly beating heart, and difficulty breathing, requires immediate medical attention. If you notice any of these you should take him to the doctor, otherwise, do not be so worried, probably his doctor gave him right therapy.

For about 3 months I have been having dull pain in my lower left abdominal area; under my rib cage. It is tender to the touch (like a bruised rib) and the pain bothers me more when I sit down than when standing. The discomfort is becoming more frequent. I have had annual episodes of strep throat and I have had the problems with rapid heart beat and light headed longer than the pain. I was not having more pain in my abdomen while sick with strep. But the pain is getting very bothersome. Do you think this warrants a visit to an internal doctor?

Thank you very much,
Worried %-)

yes, absolutely.

The doctor will likely check your spleen and other organs in that area.

my sister had mono and it last for a long time. Is it possible to get it again after having it once?

it is possible to have a relapse because mono never leaves your system once you have it. I had mono for about six months, and a year later, I feel symptoms sometimes when I get really tired or worn out.