Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. His main problem is spasticity. I have heard something that botulism toxin can be used in the treatment of spasticity in MS. I would like to know if this is true and what you can tell me about this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Spasticity can be one of the problems in MS. This can be treated in various ways. The first choice treatment is limb positioning and drug therapy. There are various medications that are used here. If this does not help, then there are methods of surgical blockage. Phenol is used here. Botulinum toxin is something relatively new that is used for spasticity. This procedure is safe as far as I know. Bye!

Hi, guys. I have also heard something about Botulinum toxin. This is the safe procedure, so your friend does not have to worry a lot. It does not have some side effects like phenol. There is no sensory loss after the treatment. Botulinum toxin can even help in some bladder functions. I am sorry I don’t know many details. You should consult an expert about this. I hope everything will be fine. Bye!

Hello. Many studies deal with botulinum toxin in spasticity treatment. Botulinum is being directly injected into the muscle. This can make sense since botulinum can block the release of the substances that make muscle to contract. This helps muscles to relax. The best dosage is still under research. I hope this helps. You can consult an expert for more details. All the best to your friend! Bye!