Hello, good people. My friend has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. His main problem is tremor. I would like to hear what medications you use to treat this problem in MS. I would be very grateful if someone could answer me this. Your opinions are more than welcomed here. Bye! Thanks!

Hi. Tremor is resulted by involuntary muscle contraction. It makes a certain part of the body to move back-and-forth rhythmically. Hands are usually affected, but other parts are also prone to it. I am talking about vocal cords, legs, head and trunk. There are two types of tremor in MS. The first one is intention tremor. It is the most common type of tremor and it appears when you reach your target with your hand, for example. When you need to make more precise move, the tremor appears. Other type common for MS is postural. It appears while sitting or standing in the muscles that work against gravity.

Hi, guys. Tremor can be a problem for MS patients. It is considered to be the most difficult symptom to treat. Doctors don’t like it. Up to this day, there is no consistently effective drug for treating tremor. Isoniasid is anti-tuberculosis drug that has been used in these purposes. Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine drug that is also used for this. Other drugs would be: propranolol (beta-blocker), primidone (anticonvulsive drug), acetazolamide (diuretic drug) and anti-anxiety drugs like buspiron and clonazepam. Your friend’s doctor will see what medications will be best for your friend. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hello, guys. MS associated tremor is very difficult to treat. As you can see, it is tried with various medications. None of them has been proved to be 100% effective. Many of these drugs have side effects that bother patients. Fatigue is one of the most common. I am afraid that your friend will have to try several ones. Then he will see what the best is for him. I hope he’ll find something. Good luck!