Hi, folks. My son has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Spasticity is one of his signs. I am afraid that medications that he has been using do not adequately control spasticity. I would like to know what to do next in this situation? Can you tell me something more? I will appreciate all your advices.

Hi, there. Treating spasticity in MS patients is a serious challenge. Drug treatment is not enough. Limb positioning is also something that must be done. Check first if this is well managed. However, if this doesn’t help, then you have the possibility of surgical procedures. Nerve roots can be blocked with certain substances. I am not sure about the details. You should consult a specialist. Good luck! Bye!

Hello to you too. I have heard about transient blockade. It is done with phenol. However, this method has not been gained everywhere. Sometimes it is not easy to affect the exact motor points. There are also some side effects. Some of them would be: motor function loss, local structure loss, etc. You should discuss this with your son’s doctors. He must tell you which pros and cons are. I hope you’ll manage something. Bye!

Hi, guys. I have heard about the treatment with Botulinum toxin A. This is a safe procedure and has shown effectiveness. However, its role in treating spasticity of MS patients is still under investigation. Unlike other substances that are used for transient blockade, botulinum toxin does not cause sensory loss. I think that an average benefit lasts for three months. If this treatment is available, you should consider it. I hope this will help. Please, let me know what you decide. Bye!