Hello!

I'm new here and not really sure where to place this topic. It's a question for my fiance; he's really quite unhappy with his developing male baldness, which runs in his family and will only progress towards the typical male pattern baldness that the older males in his family already have. I think hair implants are a viable solution ti male baldness now... but what would we need to know about them if he were going for hair implants? How good are the results, how much does it cost, how many sessions are needed and how long do they last, who performs hair transplants for male pattern baldness and does it hurt?

TIA

Hiya,

My understanding is that hair implant grafts are paid for on a per-hair basis. Transplants are done from the back of the neck where it isn't noticeable (they sew it up afterwards) and in US dollars it's about $4 to $7 per actual hair transplanted from what I have read. Yeah, you bet you that that adds up like there's no tomorrow, costing more the balder the guy is of course. When you see the actual process they go through to get those hairs in place you understand why though. They're removed from the skin and then meticulously implanted into the target area. Once done, they are meant to grow as if they were always there & my understanding is that it works very, very well. I am absolutely sure they offer some kind of anesthesia though local, not total. I saw this on some documentary. I am not sure if it hurts afterwards, I guess so, but you can take pain killers I'm sure...

You are looking at somewhere around $4000-$15000. I have looked into this. It takes around eight hours for typical male baldness, and you can expect a sore and tender head afterwards. There is also always a slight risk of infection. Overall however hair transplantation techniques (which were done as far back as 1950 by the way) are getting more and more advanced with greater success rates and more natural looking results. I have seen horror results from places like Thailand where rather than transplanting individual follicles they just sew whole strips into the receding hairline. Avoid that obviously as you may look like Frankenstein complete with visible stitch marks.

My husband is bald and has been since I met him. He wishes he wasn't, like most men who have male pattern baldness, and has looked into hair transplants casually before. Then there's other things to spend money on, vacations, a new washing machine, a new roof, and this gets pushed to the back burner. I'd like him to have the chance to do this for himself. If he were a woman with tiny breasts, society would encourage him to do this for himself. Why is it different because he is a man? I'd love him no more with more hair, but if it would help him, why not?

Look up some pictures online, I say! Hair restoration really can achieve amazing results. Some people are done after one session while others find that the density of their new hair is not to their satisfaction and they then seek further treatments to increase that density. It is important to be aware of this, that you may not have a full head of hair right away after hair restoration. It is possible to achieve that though, especially with multiple treatment sessions. Results should absolutely be long-lasting/permanent. The new hair grafts work the same way as any hair on your head. 

It will be a little painful and will definitely cost you a pretty penny, but if you are very much aware of your male baldness and feel really bad about it, I think you should give it a go. I have seen people who have had it done, and the process looks pretty intimidating. It seems to go on for ages as well. But the results on some people look quite amazing. Did you know Ted Denson had it done? The guy from Cheers who now does CSI? He looks pretty amazing. Then again, he can afford the best.

There are two procedures: follicular strip surgery in which whole areas are moved at once, or follicular unit surgery, where the follicles are implanted separately. Either way, the surgery is quite likely to take a long time, up to eight hours with the latter. Many men then even need a follow up procedure later on. The hair falls out with the strip surgery while it will be shaved with the unit surgery and the real results become apparent later on. With all that, you can expect to be set back even up to $15,000! I understand though. If I were dealing with this problem I might be considering it, too.