I got a little too tweezer-happy a few years ago, back when thinner eyebrows were all the rage. Years on, I'm realising that the part of my eyebrows that I plucked actually stopped growing altogether. The part of my brows that's no longer growing used to make up roughly half of my natural eyebrows, so understandably I'm a bit upset. It honestly never occurred to me that what I plucked could stop growing back.

Now I'm stuck using brow gels and brow pencils, depending on what I feel like. If it rains, my brows go on walkabout. My natural eyebrows are really barely visible even though I have very dark brown hair and brows. I'd get permanent makeup in a heartbeat if I had any confidence at all that it would turn out looking fantastic. Unfortunately, as I've seen with some friends, that doesn't always happen. I'm still kinda open to the idea of permanent makeup but only if I know for sure it won't look horrendous. I'm more interested in brow regrowth if possible, though, or in other ways to make my eyebrows look thicker that are slightly more permanent than drawing them on every morning.

Don't get me wrong, I love makeup as much as the next gal. I'll be perfectly honest mind you and say that I'm better with applying eyeliner than with drawing my brows on. They never look quite the way I want them too. And I'm fed up with doing it anyway.

I'm right there with you. I used to get my brows waxed back when that was the thing to do, and after a while the hairs became thinner and stopped growing back. I also have light hair, and now nothing is visible. I've read that over the counter eyebrow serums are just a waste of money, unless.... unless they contain biotin and peptides. You can also get prescription serums that definitely work and will give you thicker brows, but they dry out the skin underneath and might cause pigmentation issues. I mean, I don't want to look like a clown iykwim. Makeup is it for me at the moment, but I'm interested in recommendations.

It looks like brow extensions are the way to go in your situation. You'll have new hairs applied directly to your natural hairs and they last for quite a long time. I have seen before and after pictures and it looks like this procedure is perfectly suited even to ladies with thin and overplucked eyebrows. Even where you don't have hair at all, your clinician can apply your brow extensions to your skin rather than the existing hairs.

I've been all over the web Googling brow extensions, especially looking for reviews from people who've been there, done that already. I honestly didn't think they were an option for me, because like I mentioned, yeah, I've got them really, really thin eyebrows. Did I also mention they kind of stop too early on? When you look at those diagrams of perfect brows, they're supposed to extend quite a ways. Well, mine stop right where my eye also stops, on the outer sides. Anyways, if they can glue the hairs onto where they is no hairs, then they might be something to check out. Have you tried brow extensions yourself? Mind sharing your experience please?

Sure, I'll share my experience. First, your clinician starts off determining the shape your eyebrows will have afterwards. They use a plastic stencil for that. They adhere the little hairs (matched to your own hair color) to your existing hairs one by one. You lie flat on a massage table while this is happening, and it's pretty relaxing though a little boring after a while. Afterwards, it looks incredibly natural. The brow extensions can literally last for weeks, but you do have to be careful about not rubbing them and cleansing in the direction of the hairs. Now, I have big eyebrows myself, they are just a little too sparse. I have heard that attaching hairs to the skin as opposed to the hairs gets you less long lasting results. Like, between five days and two weeks depending on how careful you are. That means that many ladies with truly thin eyebrows will only have the eyebrow extensions done for special events and not all the time. I'd definitely say to give it a try though. When you go and have the procedure done, you'll get advice on how to care for your new, fantastic looking eyebrows in a way that makes them last as long as they possibly can. The key is to follow this advice to the letter.

Hi Londongirl,

Can I weigh in as well? My husband is going to undergo a follicular hair transplant for male pattern baldness soon. That's really amazing stuff.

What they do is take a section of hair from the back, sew that back up, and then isolate the individual follicles, placing them back into the target section one by one.

While we were reading up about this hair transplant procedure, it caught my eye that the same thing is available for eyebrows as well. That would be like eyebrow extensions, but permanent!!!

My husband was told that he'll probably need to treatments before he gets the results he is hoping for - a full head of hair that is.

Just like with my husband, the hairs that are used for eyebrow transplants actually come from your head. That does mean they have the potential to grow really long and that you'll probably need to go for professional trimmings once a month or so.

My husband's hair transplant will take up to eight hours and is $$$$$, but I imagine that eyebrow hair transplants are a lot quicker and less expensive. Just saying... because it sounds like an option with a lot of potential. Definitely not covered by insurance though.

Thanks! Though it sounds great and I do wanna try it, going to get them touched up every five days doesn't seem like an option.

Thank you too! I'll look into that.

Had my eyebrows waxed like twice or three times, basically thought I was going to be having it done like once a month, but after that the brows stopped growing back. Would like ticker eyebrows at this point, same as you basically. Heard about this thing called Latisse and thinking perhaps this will do the trick. They're just thinner than I'd ideally like. Not interested in any permanent makeup or anything like that, just something that will stimulate regrowth because I used to have pretty thick eyebrows before those few waxing sessions.

I'm pretty much going crazy over these eyebrows right now, LOL. Don't get me wrong whoever suggested this, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE eyebrow transplants if they weren't so expensive and possibly painful as well, but to be honest it just ain't gonna happen right now, you know? Same with the extensions. Yeah, I can see those being a great solution for big nights out and the like, and I'll definitely keep that in mind as a good option for special occasions. What I'd really dig is stuff that makes my real follicles sprout hairs again, you know what I mean? Something that will permanently make my eyebrows semi-decent even if I don't feel like drawing them on that day. What I keep coming back to, both for brows and lashes, is this castor oil thing. It's like a cult or something... whole bunch of people just swear by that. After reading what I did about castor oil, I just don't feel like I should be putting that stuff anywhere near by eyes, or my body at all for that matter. 

So... if anyone has any suggestions to make my eyebrows look thicker - no, forgot about looking thicker - something that will MAKE them thicker, that hasn't got any horrible side effects, I'm all ears. 

Hey,

I know you said that you didn't like using makeup on your brows every day, but I am still somewhat surprised that this discussion has mainly focused on brow extensions and tattoos. I wouldn't underestimate makeup as a way to make your brows look thicker just yet! If you want brows like Cara Delavingne, you can get there with some good makeup. While a good-quality set of products with staying power does make a lot of difference, it's also about the technique you use. If you think your makeup doesn't look good, take to YouTube to watch some tutorials.

I usually lurk here but I noticed that there was an article on SteadyHealth about how to get good brows just recently: https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/brow-product-show-down-powder-pencil-or-gel/how-to-get-great-eyebrows

Good luck!

As for products, Chanel's Perfect Brows is a splurge, but with three different shades, well worth it in my opinion. Do you have those thin areas where nothing is growing at all any more? TouchBack BrowMarker is great for that. If you want to get creative, you can definitely make that look like hairs right than a solid block of makeup. A brow gel will help you keep your brows in place once you have got them just the way you like them.

RevitaBrow is another product that can help regrow your brows. It is especially there for people just like you, who used the old tweezers a little too much.

Hiya,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your fave products with me. I really appreciate it and I'll definitely go and look them up! You're probably right about the makeup. I'd really love to have the thick eyebrows I used to have (sadly they weren't in style when I butchered them with tweezers, mind you I never expected that they'd simply stop growing, you know?), but you're quite right that I haven't quite found another option that sounds appealing. I've got think eyebrows at the minute, but I'm not too excited about replacing them with something that looks even worse, you know? As I continue to look around for something that will fix 'em up once and for all, I'd definitely like to learn some new makeup tricks and try some good products.

About that RevitaBrow thing you mentioned, can you tell me a little more about that? Have you used it yourself (I wasn't sure from your post) and can you share your experience with it if you have?

Thanks!

No suggestions for you at the moment because I am dealing with the same problem you have but I do have some questions for people who are reading this.

Which of these eyebrow serums would you recommend to someone with overplucked eyebrows?

^_^ Rimmel lash accelerator serum

^_^ Loreal concentrated lash boosting serum

^_^ Givenchy Mister Lash Booster

^_^ Talica Lipocils conditioning gel

^_^ Boots No7 Fanomenal lash serum

Of the lash serums I have heard about that are good these are the more cheaper brands that I am considering trying. Before I buy I would love it if I could get some reviews on any of these either good or bad reviews.

I just wanted to tell you that eyebrow tattoos aren't what they once were now. Having got mine done a year ago, I can say that I am very happy with the result, but also that eyebrow tattoos are not there forever any more. After a few years, they will fade. They are semi-permanent, not permanent. As long as you choose a very reputable place to get them done and have a thorough consultation to make sure you are VERY happy with the shape of your eyebrows, there is nothing to fear from eyebrow tattoos. The pigment looks very natural and most people will not even know that you had your eyebrows done.