I will be 33 in a few months, I'm female, and I don't have hair loss in the family on the female side. I was recently shocked to discover that I have slightly thinning edges on my hair, in a pattern that mimics male pattern baldness. While this is not very pronounced right now, I can clearly see a difference when I compare my hair from 10 or even five years ago with the hair I have now, when I look at pictures. The hair thinning is most noticeable when I pull my hair back into a ponytail, of course. 

I don't like this and it was quite shocking to realize that I had lost hair, but if it stays like it is now, I'll be satisfied with that. I definitely do not want the hair loss to spread any further though! 

It has been about a week since I discovered the difference after looking at old pictures of myself, so I'm still not sure what to make of this. I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. 

I don't know anything about this, but if I were in your situation and I just discovered that I was losing hair, I would absolutely be freaking out very badly. I'd probably run to my doctor right away and see what was going on. I think hair loss can be related to hormonal imbalances or medical conditions as well as being in the family, and if you don't have a family history of female hair loss, I would want to get to the bottom of that. Perhaps hormone replacement therapy could make it better? I don't know, mind you, but I would be finding out.

Things like keeping your hair in tight braids, ponytails, or using wigs can cause thinning hair around the temples. If you have not done any of those things, then I would be worried as well. There are hair vitamins, you can do scalp massages, apply ointments and so on, but if things are as bad as your posts makes them sound, I would consult a physician to get a proper diagnosis if there is one to make, and to see about possible Rogaine or laser treatment for hair loss. Most women lose hair around their parting if they suffer from hair loss, so I would definitely want a doctor's opinion on this.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I am going through the same thing you are. I'm not exaggerating when I say that my hair has thinned at the temples and windows peak within the last couple of months. I don't even need pictures to see the difference. I see it every day.

I think it might be sebhorreic dermatitis in my cases because I also have dandruff. I read it can cause hair loss as well, and if it's that, the hair loss should at least be temporary. I am trying with castor oil right now but if I don't see an improvement soon, I will ask my family doctor.

Wow, I am so sorry that several people here are dealing with thinning hair and they have no idea why! That has got to be so incredibly frustrating! It just goes to show that nobody should take the physical attributes they have for granted, as it can all change nearly overnight. 

I've heard that people in this situation sometimes have success with Nizoral. Try the Revita shampoo, for instance, which has a low dose of Nizoral. I don't think you need a prescription for that, but as with anything, you may notice some topical side effects. It sounds like it is worth a try though. 

Castor oil is also a good idea. 

What about biotin? Could that help?

Celebrity

Hey,

If it were me, I'd get going with the castor oil real fast. Castor oil does promote hair growth in some people - just ask the boardies here who have successfully regrown their thread bare eyebrows if you have any doubt about that. At the same time, I'd call my family doctor, dermatologist, or whoever else is the most ideal doctor to handle that kind of thing, and make an appointment. 

Rogaine is available without a prescription in many places, but personally, I would want to know what kind of hair loss I had and what caused it. That tends to set you up for the best treatment. 

Rosie