I'm afraid my story is pretty common but there doesn't seem to be a topic where we just gather and tell about our personal experience with premature balding. I started losing hair on my temples when I was 16 (at least that's when I noticed it. By 19 I noticed that the hair on top of my head grew thinner and by the age of 21 I had a small bald spot up there, you could see through my frontal hairline and my temples were completely bald. I knew all along I was in for this because my brother (7 years older) had lost his hair early but I was shocked by how quick and young it happened. Then came the next stages, the ever receding hairline and the widening of the bald spot on top. Today I'm 27 and I feel I look like 60. I've still got a thin patch of hair in the front of my head but around it the bald temples and bald spot have joined. My brother had the same but eventually it fell out too. The crown of hair remains reasonably high at the back of my head but again I remember that was the case for my brother as well but it became lower even before he lost the last of his patch of hair in the front. My only positive experience is my girlfriend who loves the balding process and can't get enough of my stroking my bald pate...

Bright idea. I join the group. Just like you I'm from a family of hairlosers. My bro and my father and my uncle and my cousins on my father's side are all bald or balding. For dad and uncle it started when they were in their early 20ies, for my cousins also, except for 1 who started to lose hair on his temples only when he was in his late 20ies. Whereas his brothers lost their hair on the top of their head with a bald spot becoming larger, he lost his from the front going backwards, his hairline receding ever more. My bro is 19, he has bald temples and a thinning spot on top of his head of 7-8 cm. I'm 23, I've had bald temples ever since puberty, a bald spot progressing (there are 2 cm without any hair) but my hair is thinning generally, even the one in the front, so you see my scalp everywhere except for a very narrow crown on the rear of my head. My dad says that's the way he lost his also, without any chance of hiding the process.

I read that 16% of boys aged 15-17 experience already male pattern baldness, even if only the 1. stage of ti. So it's not that premature, I mean 1 out of 6 of us has it because 1 out of 2 will be bald when he's 50 and it has to start somewhere. It's the stage which really makes the difference. I had an early puberty, my testicles grew when I was 10 and shortly after I had the 1. hairs around my penis. My body hair grew fast and I started to have a mustache when I was 12. That was probably also the age at which I started losing my hair on my head but I didn't notice at the time. Then I noticed hair in the drain after the shower and my father told me that he thought I was losing my hair because my temples were growing bald. I was 13 then and everything was going wild. In school I was already considered a freak because I had a lot of body hair and thick testicles and a large penis and I was always more or less hard. Losing my hair was just what it needed to make me go mad. My father's barber also told me that he thought I was definitely going bald. When I was 14, my temples were bald (Norwood II). Puberty was over by then. At 15 I was Norwood IIIA, meaning that I lost my hair from the front, not with a bald spot on top. So the frontal hairline was receding, but somehow this seemed less dramatic than if I had grown bald on top. It took 6 more years for me to lose the rest of it. Today I'm 52, so I'm ok with it, but I've got 2 sons, the older one started balding at 18, following the classical pattern and he's 27 now and Norwood IV, the younger one will be turning 14 next month (they are 13 years apart and have 2 different mothers) and just like me he had a premature puberty. He started even earlier than me, with pubic and armpit hair growing at 9. He was diagnosed with excessive testosterone but the doctors didn't want to intervene. Hair on his temples started to fall out at 12 and then his frontal hair started thinning (Norwood IIA). So we knew he was also going to follow my pattern of baldness/ Today he's Norwood IIIA and will probably be completely bald before his 18. birthday.

Gosh and I thought I was an early bald! How could you possibly be Norwood III at the age of 14 or 15?! That's already the stage with the high forehead with no hair left in front! I had balding temples at 16, then a slowly progressing baldness. The bald spot on my temples grew always larger until it reached above the ears and the place where there was front hair left was only 1" wide. I was maybe 25 by that time. Then I noticed a spot on top of my head where the hair was thinning but it must have been there for a while because then everything went very fast and a year later I was bald except for a small patch of hair in the front which grew thinner and then was lost also. From then on it was my crown growing thinner until it reached its present stage (I'm 37): my hair starts behind my ears and runs aroung the back of my head in a more or less 1,5'' large crown.

Temples at 16, front hairline at 20/21, bald spot on top at 23/24.

Hi, I looked this up because of my brother but actually I thought i was going to find some advice here to help him but this is all pretty discouraging. He's 17 and over the last 2 years his body grew very hairy but at the same time he lost all the hair on his temples and his front hairline has receded to the point that the beginning of the flat part of the head above the forehead is already bald. He asked me to check the rear of his head but there's no thinning there yet. He suffers greatly from it and talks already about growing a beard in order to compensate. Personnally I don't think balding is ugly. I'm 24 and my friend who's 27 is losing his hair and has decided to shave completely but I like him to keep at least a little bit of it. It's part of how men develop. Nobody thinks it's ugly that they've got hair on their face or on their body and my brother is rather proud of his chesthair which he finds very masculine so why not also be proud of a bald pate? It's also masculine and a sign of healthy hormones. Anyway nobody else in our family has suffered from early hairloss and I myself have also grown very thick pubic hair so maybe it's just the 2 of us being hairy and his hairloss will stop in time.

Hi guys. I'm joining. For me it started after puberty, I was 17 when I noticed the angles of my forehead going bald and then my front hairline was getting thinner and receded whick makes me the "A" type in the Norwood classification. The rear part of my head remained covered with hair until I was in my early 20ies but by then the hairline had receded back to the middle of my head and it went on going backwards. Today I'm 28 and I feel I look like 60! My first gf liked my the way I was, she was witness to the beginning of it all, but I felt she was said about it, then I was with a girl who said she wasn't afraid of me losing my hair but that she had preferred if I had been the normal type, getting bald on top of the head and keeping hair in front which didn't make me feel that good as you can imagine and her sister also said I was looking terribly old. Then I met a girl who had hair problems herself having had alopecia as a child but it was really a desperate thing for both of us and it didn't work at all. For the last 4 years I have a stable Relationship with a nice girl who was witness to the change from stage 4 to stage 5. That's the real problem, I mean, pleasing the girls. I found that very difficult.

Most of all I'm happy you have a gf and she likes you. For I don't mean to offend you but "pleasing the girls" as you say I believe has Nothing to do with hair or hairloss or whatever. I may have felt excessively confident because of my family history and I'm grateful for that but still I believe what I lived other could live also even without my history. I've got 3 brothers and a sister (3 families though lol sister has different dad, oldest brother has different mum) and there's a big age difference, oldest is 12 years older, the other 9 and the other is my twin brother. We were all early balders more or less, starting during or just after puberty. So from the time I can remember when I saw my oldest brother he was already losing his hair and he was fine with it actually. The other of course I grew up with and I was more directly involved but he was also fine with it laughing it off. It started for him after puberty when he was 17 or 18. So for one we the 2 youngest knew we were in for it and for the other we also knew it was nothing dramatic but part of the growing adult. Both brothers had beautiful gfs and nothing was a problem. Of course we observed our hair closely when the age of losing it arrived/ We had staretd to lose hair at our temples when 15 but that stopped again for me but my brother went on losing hair and I started again when I was 17. We were the only ones in our class going bald that early but we made it an asset and we were respected because of it and actually girls liked us because of it. They wanted to touch our head and feel our thin hair and a few months later our bald spot. I suppose for each man it's a different experience. That s ours.