I have been on cymbalta for about six months now for depression/anxiety/OCD. It has helped me a great deal in getting my life back after being nearly crippled by OCD-type doubting and anxiety.

Anyway, I am a young man (26), and I enjoy going out with my friends on the weekend and having a few beers. My doctor (phy. assistant actually) didn't mention anything to me about possible problems with alcohol and cymbalta, but I am reading around the web that they can really cause problems with your liver. So I called her up and told her that I probably drink on average 5-6 drinks per week. She said not to worry.

So how much should I worry about this?

THanks in advance-
ATL

I think your doctor was right. Only if you drink alcohol frequently and on regular basis, should you be worried about liver injury. This is why alcoholics are not prescribed this drug.
The good thing is that alcohol and cymbalta taken together do not decrease your mental and motor skills but make sure you don’t go over the line. We all love to go over the line with alcohol from time to time but considering you have problems, you should certainly watch for yourself.

I find myself in the same dilemma as ATL above, only worse. My doctor has just started me on Cymbalta and mentioned nothing about alcohol, but in my own web searches I saw that the two can be harmful to the liver. I am an alcoholic and consume four to six ounces of alcohol in the form of beer each day. I'm sure I could reduce that to three to five ounces immediately then lower as time progresses. Question: in the meantime, should I totally avoid the Cymbalta or will a few weeks with a steadily reduced alcohol intake not be harmful?

del plz

Wow. o.O I'm a 35 year old male alcoholic, and I drink mostly beer almost every night after work, and a lot more in the summer when fishing and boating on the weekends. See, I really like being on Cymbalta as it seems to be just the thing for me going on two years. Uh, I really like drinking, that's why I do it so much. I really dont plan on stopping. I just saw a commercial on tv and thought I'd keyword it, and here I am. So am I going to kill myself or what? :'( I really like being alive nowadays. ;-) So is it going to break my liver any more than the drinking is? I'm curious if there's been any research or data related to this combination. ?

id like to ask how many bottles of let's say miller for example does a 40 ounce of beer? thanks

I've been on cymbalta for about 3 months now. When I went to my doctor (who's known me for years) and talked to him about my worsening depression, which included drinking more than normal, he prescribed cymbalta. I have been so pleased with the drug, and am still drinking a few beers every day. Am I killing my liver? Because if I am, I am going to die happy. XD

Your willingness to ask yourself such questions sounds to me that you sincerly take an interest in what is best for you and your life. I've had increased problems with alcahol since being on Cymbalta and realise that each person can be affected differently than another. I have asked myself, "Could I live without drinking 'any' alcahol? Could I just "stop" all togeather?" and "Since I have one compound working with my mental chemistry should I have something else?" If I cannot, go without alcahol over an exstended period I may need to take a closer look! Who's in control, me or the alcahol...even the medication? Since the med is to aid me in controling 'my' life...who or what is in control? Keep asking questions and keep taking a good look at your life! it's yours, not some compound, or other person but you!

I think that the last comment is correct; that it effects everyone differently. I am 43 and have been taking cymbalta for 2 years. Occassionally on the weekend I overdue the alcohol a little. It was not until recently (when my dosage of cymbalta was increased) that I noticed alcohol effects being more severe.

I drink the same as I would 6 months ago, but now with the increased dosage of meds, I find myself getting more aggitated after drinking and my temper flares. Also I experienced blackouts. Gaps in time where I have no idea what I had done. I know some might say this is common with over consumption, but I had never had a problem with that. I can feel a real difference now. It has to be the increased dosage.

As a result I strictly limit my alcohol intake. That is not always so easy to do while drinking, but I plan ahead. I get help from my wife, drink water every other drink, and self test my sobriety periodically. I am slowly learning just how far I can go with alcohol and cymbalta.

I've been taking cymbalta for about 9 months since a major depressive period and have a few beers one night most weekends. I notice sometimes that it appears to have some negative effect on my mood the following days but often this is outweighed by the process of having fun and getting out and talking to people (not that I always drink when doing this...there are many other ways..)

However, on the few occaisons where I've got pretty drunk I've got a little manic, in a pleasant, amusing way, but nevertheless a little out of control. This resulted in me breaking my leg six weeks ago by being over giddy and not paying attention to my surroundings :O

So from my personal experience, while alcohol is a depressant, I'd say occaisonal drinking in moderation in social/fun situations may not do any real harm but watch if it becomes regular or heavy. Ideally abstain. Personally, I just like good ale too much not to be tempted occaisonally and doing things you like is one of the best anti-depressants of all XD

Does it really make sense to anyone to take a medication for depression and drink alcohol (which is a depressant)?

One thing to think about is what causes or helps cause the depression. If you were to remove the alcohol, could that also remove the depression? Then there would be no need for cymbalta.

you need a benzodiazepine for your nerves. My psychiatrist is impressed with my reduction in alcohol intake with klonopin. Low dose dependency is normal, and healthier than alcohol intake. The prozac helps too. My wife just got on Cymbalta, but I sleepwalked on Effexor, even urinating on the floor. Good luck! It takes it to find the "magic bullet". I thought Lexapro was the best, except for the 60+ pounds it gave me. No risk for weigh gain = can't get better than Lexapro. Weight problems = Wellbutrin and Prozac (maybe just Prozac). Don't be afraid to tell your doctor. Zoloft is even good for weight loss in some cases. My combo is Prozac 60mg and Klonopin 1mg x 3/day. Works well, although I enjoyed Lexapro more at 20 mg/day. I could stare at the same spot all day and be happy!

Fainrmoo wrote:

atl wrote:

So how much should I worry about this?

THanks in advance-
ATL

I beg to differ, my mother is 65 years old and drinks on average a gallon of wine a week, the other night she went out to eat wiht my dad and a few friends and had one too many, she came home in a complete state of dimentia. She was speaking a different language, she was having trouble walking, making absolutely no sense at all. I would say alcohol and cymbalta can definitely affect motor and mental skills. SHes been drinking her whole life, and has only been on this drug for a couple of months,

do not mix any SSRI with alcohol in any form it can be deadly. psychiatric nurse 20 years

You obviously don't know one *** thing about depression, and people who drink to feel better with it. Give us your input when you've been there yourself, then maybe we'll talk. Until then, go *** yourself.

**edited by moderator**