Hello, I'm a 17 (almost 18) year old girl that's dating a medicated 18 year old guy. I learned about his illness like a couple months ago, and before that i learned about childhood issues he had had. 
He takes lithium and i think something else too.
My question is, is he going to change? He is a normal guy, he's never shown any symptoms or barely. He's kind and loving, never withdraws, never gets extremely angry. He's pretty responsible and logical. Doesn't think he's the wittiest or the smartest. I've heard he can change within time, that he is young now but that even with medication he can change and i'm scared. Can he be like that forever if he keeps taking his medication? I love him and i'm willing to learn more about his disease and help him through it and be there through everything but i don't wanna lose the person he's been until now. His mom is a doctor (pediatrician), so he's in good hands too, he has good supervision for his meds and everything.

I would appreciate any kind of comments, if you know someone like that or if you ARE someone like that.
Thank you.

You are someone i can say i admire...you are willing to stay with the man you love no matter what and that's what being in love is all about. I'm so proud of you because you are learning more about his condition and trying to cope with it and most people wouldn't even bother.

I'm not an expert on the Bi-Polar illness, but here is a website i looked up for you:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic27459.html

On this website you can actually talk to women who are going through the same thing you are going through and you can also ask a real doctor about your concerns and questions.

My heart goes out to you Maria...i wish you and your boyfriend lots of love, hun.

Goodluck & Godbless<3

I am bipolar, diagnosed in my 40s, after decades of "depression," etc. My nephew was diagnosed as bipolar in his 20s, after a psychotic break. We're both on medication - it can take a while to find the right "cocktail" of drugs." We're also both very successful, functional and not "crazy." Still, we have our ups and downs. But because we're diagnosed and take our medication faithfully, we are not in denial about our issues - which is more than I can say for most people.

First of all, I wanna thank you for commenting :)
Second of all, I dont think bipolar people are crazy. It's a disorder that people suffer not by choice and I am very empathic.

You say you dont deny your issues, when i confronted my boyfriend about this (he never told me, i learned about his disorder through a family member) he denied it, he said he just has depression and anxiety, but he takes lithium and that is basically JUST for bipolars.... what do i do? I've been doing research and most people (and doctors) say even the best treated bipolars have psychotic breaks once in a while. Can you help me with this? As a bipolar, what do you recommend I do? Should i drop it or should i ask him again? And if he ever experiences a psychotic break, how should i deal with it?

Thank you again!

Thank you so much!!! :)

This is an older post, so I'm not sure how things went, but just wanted to post in case I'm able to help someone else.

I take lithium, and I'm not bi-polar. I have treatment resistant depression (for starters lol) and have run the gauntlet of anti-depressants more times than i can count lol. Almost all medications can be used to treat other conditions, so just because it's labeled specifically for one thing, doesn't mean that's all its prescribed for.

As for your original question. Living day to day with some with bi-polar can be challenging. I was with a guy for almost 3 years who was bi-polar (amongst a few other diagnosis). As long as he was medicated, not drinking, not abusing his other controlled substance medications, or buying his buddies suboxin, things were pretty good. I always knew when either he wasn't taking his meds like he should, they weren't working for him anymore, or he was getting stuff from his buddy, because he would get manic or abusive. If I just left him alone, he usually calmed down on his own in a few hours. If he wasn't getting physical with me during one of his rages, I'd try asking him if he needed me to do anything for him, then just go in the other room and wait it out. Depending upon the severity of the episode, i would never leave him alone just in case he was feeling suicidal that time.

From my experience, let it go. There may come a time when he will open up to you about his mental health. There may not. If you push him for answers, your just going to push him away. Honestly, it's not something a lot of people with these kind of issues are comfortable talking about. Mainly because of the people who don't understand that those of us who suffer with mental health issues, cant just snap out of it, cant just be "normal", cant tell you why we are sad, angry, etc. Its like rubbing it in their face that they have issues.