I have a friend who uses testosterone as diet supplements. I think that is very crazy, because I know there are serious problem only treated with this male hormone. However, he told me that testosterone is health and it can increase energy level in organism. I do not know should I believe this, so I decided to come here and ask someone. Is there anyone who knows more about testosterone and its health effects, could it really increase energy level?

It is well know that in hypogonadal men, testosterone therapy can restore sexual function, muscle strength, and prevent bone loss. However, some men taking testosterone therapy report an increase in energy, sex drive and well-being. That is true and your friend is in wide spread group of people that think this way. Some anti-aging enthusiasts claim that increasing the level of testosterone in older and healthy men provides these same benefits in health. Though potentially beneficial for some of these men, testosterone therapy is not risk-free as you could think. High doses of testosterone may result in sleeping problems, infertility and excess blood production. Problem is that this side effect could increase the risk of stroke. Increasing testosterone levels may also pose problems for the prostate, a small male gland that produces most of sperm fluid. Testosterone naturally stimulates the growth of the prostate, so long-term testosterone treatment could cause benign prostatic hyperplasia. Doctors are concerned that testosterone therapy might fuel the growth of prostate cancer that is already present, and very common in older men.