Hi, I'm 50 years old and male. For 2 years now I have had problems urinating. Problems with urination were accompanied by fatigue, depression and low sex drive, I just couldn’t get an erection anymore. I went to the doctor and he told me that I have benign prostate enlargement and that the prostate is blocking my urethra causing urination problems. He also said I should do a testoterone level check because the enlarged prostate could be caused by the lack of testoterone in my body. How is this disorder treated and could I expect that my prostate will become normal again?

The connection between low testoterone levels and benign enlargement of the prostate is has not been totally proven. Some doctors in the US and most European urologists think that there is a definite connection between those two, still there are some doctors that think that there is little or no connection between the two. So the opinions are different about the matter, still I think that there is a great chance that you do have a low testoterone, which is totally normal in men your age. In case you do have low testoterone products like testoterone subdermal injections or testoterone skin patches can help you with your low sex drive and depression. The best testoterone treatment can do is to prevent the further growth of the prostate but it can't shrink the prostate to its original size. There are also dangers involving the use of testoterone replacement. Too much testoterone can help the growth of prostatic cancer, and often, in treatment of prostatic cancer estrogen therapy is used to reduce the effects of testoterone. Also testicles are being removed to prevent the production of the testoterone. I think you should wait for the results of those tests and then consult with your doctor for the further treatment.