I am a 29 year old female who got a LARGE external hemorrhoid during pregnancy. It went away right after labor, but came back shortly after and it has been there ever since. There are days when it is excruciating, and then it will calm down and only hurt after a BM. Its about the size of a kidney bean right now. I'm currently taking stool softeners, adding in fiber and drinking tons of water. I'm going to see a colorectol surgeon this week, but my question is... short of having a hemorrhoidectomy is there anything that can be done for external hemorrhoids? It seems like all of medical treatments for hemorrhoids are for internal hemorrhoids, and for external hemorrhoids your options are surgery or deal with it - is this right???

Also, any advice from someone who has had the surgery OR found some way to avoid it is also greatly appreciated... thanks!

Surgeons don't tend to band external hemorrhoids,
since the pain would be really bad (the pain comes from
nerves below the dentate line).

At least that's what two surgeons told me when I went
to see them. However, frankly, I think they could have
gone ahead. I've had external hemorrhoids banded before
on an outpatient procedure years ago. The pain was bad, yes,
and it also felt as if someone was grabbing your anus
all the while. Has some uninary retention too - you are going
to have a tough time passing urine. But I withstood it and
the pain went away after the first or second day.

Banding doesn't normally last more than 5 years though.
And big, confluential hemorrhoids can't be banded.

Other options you could ask them are infrared coagulation,
radiofrequency ablation, or galvanic current treatment.

Hey guys, I'm Mike. I know what you're going through, because I've been where you are now. I also have an external hemorrhoid, and it's been bothering me since summer 2010. At first, it was painful, lots of bleeding, etc. I even considered surgery, but there are other alternative hemorrhoid remedies that can help you, and aren't so bizarre, so I suggest you that you consider operation as your last resort, and to try other options. For example, the thing that I found most helpful for me was oil. Just simple oil, try rubbing oil on your hemorrhoid, preferably after shower and it will pass.

I have had an external hemorrhoid removed twice. The second time was the worst. I am still suffering after 6 weeks. For those of you jumping in the bath tub you can go to your local drug store and purchase a sitz bath. This fits over your toilet and can be filled with warm water. It it much better than going into the tube continually. I am sorry for all of us, it has been a terrible suffering. I am full of fiber and pain killers. However, I am making progress slowly. Best Wishes, to all.

:(
I had internal hemorrhoid and banded them,so this problem is solved for some time...But I got an external one and I don't know what to do.
It is so painful I can't go to work.All that I red about external hemorrhoids didn't encourage me to do anything radical as surgeon etc.I hate pain!
Is there anything that can make the pain disappear complete?

THANKS!

I'm a 40 year old male and we have these devils in our family. They are very herreditary. I get the external variety every now and then and they are very painful. I'm having a recurrence of one now and have taken matters into my own hands. I've been reading about banding online. So I found a small rubber band, doubled it over to make it tighter and banded the 'roid by myself. It hurts quite a bit so I'm using some left over vicadin I had from a previous issue to help ease the pain. I know its going to hurt like this for a a day or two but I'm wagering it will cut off the circulation and shrink it to make it go away. The last time I had one like this it took two weeks to get rid of it. So a few days of discomfort seems a better choice. I'll post back with my experience using this method.

Jesus, I've never heard of banding a hemorrhoid yourself. You're either crazy for have very high tolerance for pain. Good luck to you!

If your going to do it yourself have you considered a Zip Tie .. XD

Hello all,

I am shocked to hear the horror of your experiences but I have to tell you, it doesn’t have to be this way! Find a good colorectal surgeon and get them removed.

When you’re dealing with external hemorrhoids the pain is caused be two components. First the obvious pain of having your muscle cut apart and then stitched up. (Most surgeons in the US stitch up the wound but in other parts of the world they usually don’t) However, the stitches usually give way early on leaving you with an open wound! When you use the bathroom and feces enters the open wound it really hurts. To combat that use a anit bacterial cream such as Bacitracin on the wound especially just before a movement because it is thick you can fill the wound with it and the feces wont enter. Then just follow a pain management program like the one outlined below and it should go completely pain free for you.

The key is to fine a REAL Hemorrhoid doctor i.e. Colorectal Surgeons that what they do and not a G.I. or General doctor even though they CAN cut you hemorrhoids out does not mean they should!

You can get a lot more info at

Best to all of you.

I cut and pasted the pain management portion from another posting I made last week so you may have seen it before.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Your Pain management is defiantly something you can negotiate with your doctor before sugary! Get it right or you will regret it!
A companionate surgeon and good colorectal surgeon shouldn’t want their patient to be in any pain and this is not a procedure where you need to feel a little pain to protect yourself from injury.

In my opinion, if you want a pain free procedure and pain program should consist of some form of the following:

First 24 hours after sugary:
- 2 vicodin every four hours
- 1 Zipsor every six hours

2d day to 8th day
- 1 vicodin every four hours (As needed after 5th day)
- 1 Zipsor every six hours

8th day to 3 weeks if needed
- 1 Zipsor every six hours (As needed after 14th day)

The vicodin numbs some of the external pain but does very little for the internal pain that you experience. Zipsor is an excellent MODERATE pain medication that numbs from the inside and I have personally used it after a complex internal and external hemrodictomy and there was absolutely no pain at anytime including my first Movement!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Wowww...I have the same issue after had my child 2 years ago i acquired a external hemorrhoid...I have to say I have been suffering with it for two years...sometimes I forget it is there...but usually it hurts like hell...Ive been reading about non surgical way of removing them...its FDA approved :-) ..The rhoid is exposed to a few bursts of infrared light. This coagulates the vessels that feed hemorrhoids causing hemorrhoids to shrink and recede. There may be a mild sensation of heat, but it is generally not painful; therefore no anesthesia is required.

Here is the link...Im going to give it a try =) I cant take the pain...i miss just being able to go to the bathroom...and sit comfortably..

I see and feel two large external Hemorrhoids every time i go to the rest room, i feel no pain at all, they will disappear after 15 minutes, will those get worse?, should i see a Dr

Thanks for any info

This information has been great. I am having surgery next week. The issue of surgery verses non surgery is related to the severity of the hemm condition. Some internal hemms involve prolapsed areas- this has to be fixed surgically. The surgeon is the best one to
make this decision- I will be all over the pain management recommendations!! :-)

I recently got an EXTERNAL hemorrhoid and am desperate to have it removed any way possible!!! Please can someone give my some advice as this is all new to me and people tend to talk about surgeries for 'hemorrhoids' in general but I'm sure most of the procedures I've read about are for internal ones e.g banding. I have cream which soothes the slight pain I get but I really really want rid of it altogether because it gives me a lot of discomfort. Can anyone help?? Many thanks.

I just finished my 2nd hemorrhoid surgery for thrombosed external hemorrhoid. The first surgery was complicated because I was pregnant and one week from my due date. The first one was the size of a small strawberry and incredibly painful. The procedure took about 20 minutes and I was off of Advil 5 days later. Today I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed and it was pretty easy! About the size of a black bean, he numbed the area with a needle, removed the clot and covered with gauze. He whole thing (exam,procedure, discussion) lasted 20 minutes and was well worth it! Hopefully they don't come back but I would recommend getting the external thrombosed ones removed asap. If you've only had it thrombosed under 4 days my doctor said the surgery is worth it! I agree! Hope that helps. I can't see it taking more than a few days of advil, baths and minor discomfort before I am back to normal. I walked out of the office and drove myself home after the procedure and feel fine 2'hours later.

I have external hemorroids, and have found no surgery was needed after learning how to treat them.  You must keep the are clean at all times! After a bowel movement it is important or should I say detrimental to cleanse the area in a bath or shower. DO NOT use a wash cloth or anything rough to cleanse area, as this causes irritation. Instead make sure you have cleaned the area as best as you can prior to a shower with disposable wipes. I found aloe vera ones with no harsh cleansers or chemical work best. Then, once in the shower, cleanse the anus and hemoriods GENTLY with soap and water using your fingers.  FINGERS can be washed afterward folks! Then rinse very very throroughly with water, again gently. Pat dry, get the area completely dry. After some time of this continued process your hemroids with begin to shrink over time. Do not use creams, they only temporarily fix the pain or itch. Instead, use witch hazel after each bathroom use with a small cotton ball (GENTLY), even when you have not had a bowel movement and you just urinate, use the witch hazel on the anus.  Should you be in a situation where you cannot shower or wash the area, use wipes with aloe until all feces is COMPLETELY removed, ( be gentle), and then use the witch hazel. The main cause or irritant is not cleansing the hemorroid properly and even a film of fecal matter on the hemorroid can and will cause irritation. I hope this help. I have used the method for over a yr. now and the hemorroids have shrunk, do not irritate and we have learned to co exist. lol