Hi everyone

I have had an external hemorrhoid for about 3 months now. Its quite uncomfortable and painful at times. I went to my PCP and he just prescribed some witch hazel/Tucks and stool softners and advised lifestyle changes. 6 weeks went by and I didn't notice any improvement so I went to the ER and hoped the ER doc could excise the hemorrhoid. The ER doc did an anoscopy and found I had a few internal and the one external hemorrhoid. She advised the same things as the PCP. When I asked if she could excise it I think she misunderstood me and thought I was asking for a hemorrhoidectomy and just told me to continue what I was doing and sent me away. Plus she knew that I had a appointment with a Colorectal surgeon in 1.5 months so I think she just wanted to discharge me ASAP.

Anyways now I am doing everything possible (stool softners, witch hazel, sitz baths, high fiber, 8-10 glasses of water). There is no bleeding, its just very painful and uncomfortable. It is a proper external hemorrhoid about the size of a almond. I have an appointment with the surgeon in 3 weeks. Do you think the surgeon will be more helpful and possibly excise the hemorrhoid or lance it on an OP basis? I am really worried that even the surgeon will just send me on my way without any relief.

if he is a good colorectal surgeon he will probably try a few different treatments first. i had, two laser treatments, banding, ointments, and  that did not work for me  for about 9 months, with no success.  Finally got the hemarroidectomy and after two weeks of hell recovering, life was great.

Hopefully will cure them once and for all.

Thanks I am hoping he/she is a good surgeon and will actually be helpful. If i may ask, what kind of hemorrhoids did you have? My internal hemorrhoids are pretty small, its the one external hemorrhoid that is causing me problems. The ER doc said it was mildly thrombosed; I thought she would excise it, but instead just sent me home. I hope the surgeon is more helpful.

i had two external, large hemarroids, and two internal ones.  She mentioned after the surgery, "they were the worst" she had ever seen.  I had put up with the pain for a few years, they were pretty bad, if they can do something immediately to relieve the pain, they will but be prepared, there'll might be a quick, internal examination. 

i dk what they do with external ones, other than surgically remove them to get rid of them.

Good luck!

Wow, hats off to you, for being able to tolerate such pain for so many years. I've had this problem for only 3 months. I guess I have a low tolerance for pain. I read for small external hemorrhoids they can excise it or lance it on an out patient basis, so I am hoping the surgeon can do that. Anyways thanks for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it.

I hope they can do that for you, its going to be painful regardless because of where its located and you have to keep using it, unfortunately.
good luck to you and remember it can only get better after the treatments. 
If you do have a surgery get yourself ibuprofen and tylenol extra strength and they should work well.  narcotics will make you constipated and zombie-like, they might be alright for a day or two, but get off them quickly if possible.

Hey everyone I finally got checked out by the specialist surgeon, turns out I have a fistula.  The other doctors misdiagnosed me.  Anyways the surgeon scheduled a surgery for me in a few months and things should be alright.  

Anyways my advice to anyone suffering here is don't waste time visiting primary care doctors and if you do go to one make sure he/she gets you a referral appointment with a specialist surgeon as soon as possible.  Surgeons are experienced with these kind of things and they can make an immediate diagnosis.  My surgeon did a 10 second exam and immediately diagnosed me.

Nasty thing.

And it is painful when it happens.

My doctor tried to explain to me that the most common cause of external hemorrhoids usually is repeated straining while having a bowel movement. Usually, in that case hemorrhoids develop when the veins of your anus become dilated or enlarged. That means that they can be “internal” or “external.”

Since you have problems with external hemorrhoids, you should know that they are usually found beneath the skin that surrounds the anus.Sometimes, there is no proper hemorrhoids relief and surgery is the only option.

But you should consider all of possibilities, talk to your doctor and ask him to help you about this - to choose proper way of the treatment.