Hello everyone. I’ve been reading this site for weeks, got lot of information good and bad info, and thought I would give back my feedback after my surgery. Some of the horror stories scared me, and I seriously thought about cancelling my surgery lot of times, but ended up going through with it. Hopefully my story will encourage some of you. For more record, I’m 5 days post-op. I'm 26 years old female living and working in South Korea, 54 kg 1m70 in good health except having external hemorrhoid for last 10 years caused by constipation but was so small and didn't hurt so i never though about having any surgery ... until 3 weeks ago where my parents came to visit me and had to go with them around and had lot of stress and was too tired, so one day i woke up and felt like something big is bothering me down there, took a look and was shocked to find large big external hem, i was so scared that i called my bf to take me to Emergency right away, but they told me that they have nothing to do about it and that i need to see specialist, so next day morning i went to see surgeon and right away after taking look and without hesitation he told me that i had to have surgery asap and made me do all tests and analysis right away, Well after that i though about going to bigger hospital with good surgeons and find someone that i could trust, believe me it's all about trust ...FIND YOURSELF A GOOD DOCTOR. Anyway i found that doctor and had appointment for my surgery on 7th October in one of the biggest hospital in Seoul, my assurance could cover 50% of the cost which was not bad. Doctor describe some med for me Stool softer and some others, which helped me and made my stool soft for a week before surgery. I had my parents leave because as they cant speak a language i though that staying here will not help me that much, of course my mom tried to convince me so she can stay but i made her leave.. at least they trusted my bf and they knew that he will take care of me (without him this experience would be worse) . 6th October 2013 was admitted to the hospital one night before my surgery as they need to check on me and explain everything before, and of course have enema to empty my stomach. The nurses was so nice that they made me so comfortable and relax for the next day, they checked on me every two hours, to see if i have fever or high or low blood pressure. i had dinner around 7pm and they asked me to stop eating or drinking anything after 12. 7th October 6am i had another enema to make sure that i had nothing left in my stomach, my surgery was scheduled for 9:30 am, around that time they came made me change to surgery dress lol and took me to the surgery room, doctor assistant came again and explain all details and anesthesia (spinal) and i signed some papers then went in, doctor anesthetist came and i asked him to make me sleep as i would freak out if i hear anything during surgery time. They were very professional. One moment I’m lying in a bed with an IV in my hand, the next moment I wake up and though that i never fall sleep, took a look and nurse looked at me saying that we are taking you now to recovery room ... i felt nothing and was feeling good and imagine i even asked nurse to take picture of me kkk and sent it to my bf who waited outside. 30 min later i was back to my room and was asked to lay down for at least 4 hours until anesthesia effect goes away, after 2 hours i asked nurse to inject pain killers as i was afraid to feel pain after anesthesia effect was gone, and as expected i felt nothing. during that 4 hours they checked om me often asking if i felt like peeing, and gave me something where to pee, but actually i couldn't do it laying down so asked them if i could go toilet and they said no because they worried as i may feel dizzy, but i asked my bf and he helped me going and had no problem urinating. i had good sleep that night but woke up around 5 am feeling pain then asked for more pain killers and fall sleep again. 8th October 2013 I woke up and started my recovery. Still foggy headed, but no pain, felt something swelling in there and as i heard from lot of ppl in here its normal so i didn't worry too much but still asked doctor when she came and said that's swelling and it's will be gone in one or 2 weeks. had some gas that day and with the water i drank had to pee lot. Went to bed feeling pretty good, no pain yet. Normally i had to be discharged today morning but i asked doctor to stay another night as i was afraid to to have BM home. but unfortunately i couldn't have any bowel movement and had to be discharged next day morning. Frankly speaking i was more relax with nurses and doctors around in case something happen, after reading all horrors stories. 9th October 2013 my bf came early morning and helped me with the discharge papers and all that. Nurse came and explain what i had to do (taking sitzh bath 3 to 4 times a day, eating normal with some fiber, take some walk as i could) then had my appointment for next week Wednesday 16th for following up. i was feeling so good that i though that if i keep healing that way i may be going back to work by next week. anyway back home kept my sitzh bath schedule and medicine, because if i will give advice its will be TAKE YOUR MED ON TIME, even if the pain killer had to constipate me i though its better than the pain i had to go through.Just have your med on time and drink lot of water and juice. The only problem until now is my first BM ... until now no sign of it, From reading the stories here, I was prepared for the most painful experience of my life. 10th October 2013 Woke up after deep night sleep except that i have to wake up every day morning around 5 am to have one pain killer as i have last one for diner around 8pm so am trying now to have them late at night so could not wake up that early everyday. i had lunch and was determined to get that first bowel movement out of the way. Sat down, breathed deeply, and tried to relax .. nothing ... than tried even in sitzh bath after 10 min of trying i felt that is coming, you cant imagine how painful was that .. but the problem is that i still couldn't get it out, i was afraid to push too much, so i just gave up and took shower . When I start to feel bad is when I have feces at the end of the rectum, ready to get out. After that i felt weird down there cleaned up with some gauze took a look and found some blood i think after trying hard i had some scratches ((( i tried not to stress up as everyone here had some blood and said it's normal. Went back to my bed had movie on and tried to fall sleep as i felt some burning, hoping for better result tomorrow. 11th October 2013 Which it's today, i woke up this morning had breakfast made by my bf :) and felt the urge ... Made my way to the bathroom, tried but still nothing, i took a look and found just blood out there (((( had bath and had my gauze in, called hospital told them about the situation but all what they suggasted is to take some more stool softer and magnesium. After lunch my bf proposed to go out have a walk maybe it's will help me, so i had two spoon of magnesium (Osmosine) and went out to take a walk and even had one cigarette :), am back home laying on my bed writing all that and waiting for something to happen ... Everything was good up to now, hope i will have that first BM ... anyone have any suggestion ? i still have blood in the gauze from yesterday ... if anyone had same situation plz give me some advice, and is it normal not to have BM by now? I’ll be home all week, so if you have any questions I’ll be happy to try and answer them. Thanks again to all of you who have posted your experiences. Reading these stories helped me prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Hello 

Yesterday before dinner i had another spoon of magnesium (Osmosine) watched movie and fall sleep.

This morning woke up i felt that my bowel movement started .. had my vitamin, banana, and my med + Pain killer, i preferred having my med before my BM that way it's will help me with the pain. around 10 am i felt the urge i went to bathroom had my sitz bath ready to use, as i was so dry and after reading some comments saying it's more easier to go in there so i did same.... It was moderately painful (about as painful as a BM w/ the inflamed hemorrhoid) and my stool was so hard, i never felt them that hard in my life,  i tried to stop half way but i couldn't ... still something wanted to come out so i was there for almost 30 min, i did pushed 2 times but if i didn't i would of never had it out, well i had some blood coming with my tools but nothing weird ... after finishing i had another sitz bath and jump into shower right away. the pain increased right away, but the incision felt raw and painful even after. and i still have some blood coming out in my gauze not lot but not sure if its normal ... 

Am glad i had it done but am still afraid of the coming ... i still eat rice soup and vegetable and lot of fruit ... and take 2 stool softers 3 times a day after each meal. am trying to reduce pain killer from 2 after each meal to one and see if it's ok.

am trying to have ice pad now and see if it's will relief my pain and reduce blooding

have good day everyone and good luck 

That's good you had your first bm!! The hardest part is over. Your stools should be softer now. You got the hardest stool out..the magnesium should have softened you up. That's good you are already cutting back on the pain pills..it really helped me when I did that. Then after day 9 I only took advil and I could really tell a huge difference in my stools being softer. Try a spoon of honey once a day too...seemed to help me. Plus honey is good for many other things.
Hope your days keep getting better...

yeah i think so .. but the burning after BM are sucks kkk.. i had another one this morning and was in less pain , thanks god ...
but he thing is that even after shower and two sitz bath am still not that clean as my hem was external and stitches are outside .. so after every BM some dirt stuck in there ... and i still have some blood and discharge in my gauze everyday ..
did u had blood for long time and discharge? ah and how's swelling now? is everything is back to normal ?
I will have my following up with doctor next Wednesday hope he will be positive ,,,

Have good day

Where mine was for internal...I didn't have to use guaze. Not really any discharge. I did have a few stiches on the outside..I guess to take the whole blood vessel out. I only had blood a couple of times having a bm and that was it.
Swelling is mostly gone except one small area. I read on a different site where it can take up to 8weeks for all swelling to away. I guess everyone is different. Hope your follow up apt goes good. I'm sure it will !

Day 8

From my first BM to today 3 days am having regular BM, every morning just one a day and i think that's good thing :), i reduced my pain killers to half of what doctor prescribed and actually my second and third BM are softer and not that painful as first one.. i still have some discomfort but bearable, i started to go out walk around 15 to 20 min go to super market and even clean the house and cook for myself :0 the blood as less day after day, am even planning to go out tomorrow and have meeting in the afternoon..

the only thing that's still bothering me is the swelling and the 3 small balls who look like hem :( not sure if it's justhe t skin which is healling or something else.. but i will make sure and ask on my following up after tomorrow. am still not comfortable sitting but i need to start practice i guess ;). Am still eating soft food and drinking lot of water doing my sitz bath 4 times a day.

I need to thank everyone who posted their experiences, tips, resolutions and nightmares.

I guess I’ll give my experiences because reading other peoples stories was enlightening, so i hope i will help and give someone who have to do this surgery some hope and say that not all the surgeries was that bad :) 

I update after my following up .. have great day everyone. 

Day 8~10 

Was almost same, had BM every morning once i wake up hard to get out at start but does not hurt too much anymore :) 

Today i went to hospital for my 10 days following up, everything was done within 10 min (stupid Doctor) anyway ... she asked me few question about urinating, Blooding  .. and asked me so she can take a look, after that she suddenly asked Nurse for and cut some stitches which she said was hanging outside .. Actually at that moment i had some blood and was hurting for around 15 min, i even cried kkk, but once i came home and went to have another BM WOW didn't hurt at all and i was pain free, like if because of that stitches i had hard time lol, well doctor said that am healing and that everything looks good, asked me to stop eating all medicine and that even the swelling are getting smaller and made appointment for check up in 2 weeks..

I actually went to my office today and wrote my resignation letter kkk, so i have one month from now to the time i start my new job, so i think and hope i will be able to work and sit 8 hours a day by that time because now at day 10 more that 15 min i cant and feel uncomfortable.  

Anyway i think am doing fine .. so let's hope for better tomorrow... 

Will update again .. 

Thank you for such a great post

Thanks for the update! You will feel alot better now that your stitches are out! Sitting will get alot easier. I could tell instantly when he took mine out, I had to wait til my 3week appt.. But anyways I felt so good after, that's when I started driving again and everything. Sounds like you are on your way to recovery. XD 

Well yesterday after she cut some stitches i came back home and had another 2 BMs pain free but so itchy ... and as i dont eat med anymore i didnt had good night sleep yesterday, i guess it's normal as i stopped pain killers. Anyway today morning i still went to bathroom in the morning after i woke up and even without the sitz bath help :) 

let's see how my BMwill be tomorrow after stopping stool softer .. will update later

D-13 

After stopping stool softer i tried to eat more fiber food .. so vegetable fruit ..etc and of course water ... but actually i think i ate too much lol, today morning i had diarrhea grr but still went to bathroom just a morning but had sore feeling not too much pain but i was ok, so i decided to go back to my normal diet but not going over just to balance.

So i was tired of staying home and decided to go out .. went to Bank then super market and even hair shop (had to sit around 1 and half hour) but felt ok somehow uncomfortable but not too much, went back home had sitz bath then went to nail shop (around 1 hour too) after that i even had coffee with friends and diner .. so basically i was siting for almost 7~8 hours today plus hour in the car ... but you cant imagine how this day made me feel better and made me feel that i can be back to my life and that really there is light at the end of the tunnel ))) 

Well i cant say that i was pain free but its good sign that i could do all that without extreme pain.

D-15

Last two days i had diarrhea i think am eating lot of fiber ore than needed lol so am trying to find and balance what i eat .. but the problem now that am losing appetite (( dont feel like eating anything .. i just make myself eat because i know i need to ... i feel so bad because of that, i think as i ate same thing for couple days after that i don't feel like eating and not hungry imagine (((( am now more worried about that than my hem and recovery, i lost around 4 kg and for me is lot now am 51kg for 1m69 ....

other than that i got my period yesterday and am trying to wash ever two hours to keep area clean ... but it's difficult, did someone had that too? what did u do? These days  i have smooth BM pain free ... just itchy time to time, the swelling is getting better day after day.

well i still have 3 weeks off so am trying to find what to do as am starting to get sick of sitting home ....