I am a 44 year old female who has suffered with external hemorrhoids for nearly 5 years out of embarrassment. I hoped they would just go away. I could not take the pain or itching anymore so I went to see a Colorectal Surgeon. She took one look and said they were grade 4 and thrombosed and my only options were surgery or suffer. Leaving them there was no longer an option so I opted for surgery. I started researching and became horrified by the stories I was reading. I even contemplating canceling my surgery. Thankfully, I didn't. And that's why I'd like to share my story here. I am only 6 days post op so I don't know what the future holds but as of now, I am happy I did it. I'm sharing my journal to let you know it's not always horrible. Please research your surgeon and prepare yourself/your body. I did so by home cooking all of my meals for several days prior to surgery, and also did an enema the night before and the morning of surgery. It wasn't pleasant but I believe it helped me for the few days I didn't go after surgery.

Surgery - Day 1

I came out of surgery pain free thanks to general anesthesia and a heavy duty anesthesia shot in my rear. In fact, my butt was numb all night. I was able to urinate an hour after I was moved from recovery into my own room. I had my period so the cramps from that were awful even after the medication but I felt okay to go home an hour later. The 30 minute ride was uneventful and surprisingly painless. I was told I could resume a normal diet and was eager to do so but since that's what likely landed me in this predicament, I decided to stick to a high fiber diet.

Dinner: Minestrone soup with a few saltines. Water with a scoop of Miralax.

Snack: Slice of 7 multigrain toast with peanut butter and fresh sliced strawberries. Bowl of honeydew melon. Water with a scoop of Benefiber.

I took 1 Percocet every 4 hours as instructed and set my alarm to make sure I didn't miss a dose. My surgeon urged me not to let the pain get ahead of me. Pain level: 0

Day After Surgery - Day 2

Woke up feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck. My ribs felt like they were actually broken and I could barely swallow from the tube they placed in my throat during surgery. My butt is still numb though and for that I'm thankful. Very nauseous from the Percocet but I don't do well on pain meds so that was expected. I would say my pain level was a solid 5 on this day but that pain was not in my butt. Still keeping up with the fiber.

Breakfast: Juice with a scoop of Miralax. Bowl of bran flakes with almond milk and sliced banana. 

Snack: Bowl of honeydew melon.

Lunch: Juice with a scoop of Benefiber. Cannelloni bean, chickpea and barley salad. Applesauce.

Snack: Red seedless grapes.

Dinner: Vegetable soup

Snack: Bran muffin and blueberries.

No bowel movement yet. Rested all day.

Day 3 

Still in pain but mostly in my ribs and throat. Hoping for a BM so stopped Percocet and switched to 800 mg Ibuprofen. Walked around the house a few times and rested most of the day. Pain level is around 3-4 today.

Breakfast: Smoothie - 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 2 cups spinach, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, ground flax seed and a shot of Miralax.

Lunch: Cannelloni bean, chickpea and barley salad, slice of 7 multigrain toast with peanut butter and grapes.

Snack: Bran Muffin

Dinner: Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli

Day 4

Finally had an impressive BM with ease. Took Ibuprofen 1 hour prior and felt no pain whatsoever. I waited until it was ready and only needed to give a little push to get it going. Feeling a whole lot better. Pain level is 0-1 today. I was able to get some very light cleaning done. And more rest.

Breakfast: Bran flakes with almond milk and sliced banana. Juice with a scoop of Miralax.

Lunch: Slice of 7 multigrain toast with peanut butter. Applesauce. Juice with a scoop of Benefiber.

Dinner: Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli.

Snack: Applesauce

Day 5

Feeling good. Had a BM this morning that passed smoothly which is probably a result of diet and added fiber. Feeling slightly itchy and a little tender but it's manageable with tucks pads and Ibuprofen. Was able to drive myself to go food shopping and even make soup for dinner. 

Breakfast: Juice with a scoop of Benefiber. Bran cereal with almond milk and sliced banana.

Lunch: Slice of 7 multigrain toast with peanut butter and sliced strawberries. Fresh brewed iced tea with a scoop of Benefiber.

Snack: Bowl of pineapple

Dinner: Bowl of chicken, spinach and barley soup.

Snack: Blueberry muffin.

Had a 2nd BM this evening and still feeling ok. Skipped Ibuprofen tonight and that wasn't a great decision as I felt some burning in the lower region. Nothing major but definitely uncomfortable. Used a tucks pad to calm it down and immediately took my missed Ibuprofen. Pain level was about a 1.

Day 6

Had another impressive BM this morning. Thank you Benefiber! I did not take my Ibuprofen again, this time I forgot and I did have some burning. Once I took it, the burning was gone so I recommend you set your alarm so you wont forget like I did. The pain wasn't terrible but why suffer if you don't have to?

After BM's I've been showering using a detachable shower head to clean myself. My surgeon doesn't recommend sitz baths and I'm not a bath kind of person so I didn't bother to ask why. I have been able to wipe using wet wipes and after patting myself dry, I do use a tucks pad. Every time I use the bathroom even if it's just to urinate. I use cotton menstrual pads in my underwear as there is some light bleeding as expected. So far, I think I'm on the road to recovery. I have a follow up with my surgeon in 2 weeks. I will be back to update this in the meantime if there's anything new to add. I tried to be as specific as I could about what I'm eating in hopes that this will help someone. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Wishing you all health and happiness!

Jenna