i had hemrrhoid surgery 14 days ago. i am still having a lot of pain and sorness. i am scared i may have developed an infection. is the pain and sorness normal and is it likely to get an infection?

Roywneely -

I suggest reading the postings at https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/what-is-the-recovery-time-for-hemorrhoid-surgery&hpr=what_is_the_recovery_time_for_hemorrhoid_surgery

They are very helpful and I think you will find an answer to your question there.

I have found this website to be very helpful in answering questions regarding hemrroid removal surgery. I hope my posting will be beneficial to someone else that may have to go through this procedure. I had my surgery 12/17/09 in Raleigh, NC. at a cost of about $6500.00. My Dr. told me it would take about 3 weeks to recover enough to go back to work. I purposely had the surgery right before Christmas, so I would have time to recooperate and have the help of my husband being home from work. I have had 2 C-sections and fragmented disc surgery in my lower back...this was the most painful recovery that I have gone through. Essentials for a helpful recovery: a good sense of humor, (suddenly that pool scene in CaddyShack takes a whole new meaning!) a kind helpmate, (my husband constantly drew hot baths, cleaned the bathroom, did tons of laundry from my soiled sheets, robes, towels and was always handy for a clean up in aisle 2!) great painkillers, (do not let them ween you before 3 weeks) good wine and a nice hot bath waiting for you after a bowel movement. Please keep in mind that there are people out there that know what you are going through and our hearts go out to you. You will recover. Concentrate on you and don't worry about anything else. I have read postings were people had to go through this and take care of their children at the same time. I don't advise it. The Dr. removed what he described as 3 adult thumbs from my anal cavity....OUCH! I am sure my electric bill will be doubled what it normally is after all the hot water we used for laundry and baths...but it was worth it!! I don't think I would go through this all over again...but I am glad that I did for my overall health. I suffered with these for 24 years before I had them removed. I got myself into this mess in my early 20's by abusing laxitives...but, it was getting to the point that I was bleeding more and more, being anemic, and the worst part for me was not being able to keep myself clean. I now think twice about everything I put in my mouth.
My best wishes for you during this time...you can do it!!

I had hemorrhoid removal surgery last summer. Indeed the recovery was hellatious (is that even a word?) to say the least. My brother who had it about 5 years ago told me I would see the "white light". I touched it. If you don't have a sense of humor prior to the surgery, once you are all recovered you definitely will. It was rough, but now that it is over, it was SO WORTH IT!! I took a lot of stool softeners, pain pills, hot baths, and used a lot of wrapped frozen potatoes. For the first week my routine was as follows:

Eat a soft breakfast
Take a stool softener
Sleep
Wake
Poop
Jump in hot bath
Yell for Ice Water
Take Pain Pill (while in tub)
Yell for kids to bring frozen potato
Crawl from tub
Sit with wrapped frozen potato on that very sensitive area
Lie in bed
Sleep off meds
Start again

After about 5 weeks I was fully recovered. Every time I poop I am so grateful for the surgery. I suffered with hemorrhoids off and on for 21 years. I had the in office laser surgery done unsuccessfully (and painfully) when I was 16. After that I was young and scared. Eventually I began having children. Each time it got worse and worse. I was afraid if I had surgery they would just return when I had another child. Well, after baby #4, I didn't close the shop but I ended the sale (ha ha). I am so glad I had it done. I wish everyone happy pooping.

Thanks for the above 2 posts, I enjoy reading them and had a good laugh. I too went through external hemorrhoid surgery, not 1 but 3 surgeries, and that was not fun, so I can say I know how everyone feels.